sw08 & Windows Desktop Search

Just installed SW2008 on Friday. What good is this resource hog, Windows Desktop Search, that gets installed with SW2008? It seems to be really slowing my machine down, it's indexed ~42k files so far with ~40K more files to go... once it's done indexing will it become more transparent or will it always want to use 90%+ of mu CPU.

I'm tempted to uninstall it (if possible) but if it will stop hogging my CPU *and* I can get some kind of benefit I may keep it.

Thanks

Reply to
wc

Before you unistall Windows Desktop Search, I suggest that you limit the file types which will be indexed.

By default, the program includes an extensive 'default' list of file extension types for use with the index. If you go to the Advanced Options dialog box and click on the File Types tab, you'll find an incredibly long list with most of the boxes checked.

I chose to uncheck every type except for those related to SolidWorks, eDrawings and data translators (such as IGS).

Shortening the indexing list certainly makes a difference and indexing can finish much faster. When it runs, however, it is a definite resource HOG.

It's always possible to 'snooze" the indexing at times when you can least afford the performance hit. I'm surprised that SolidWorks doesn't let users know about what to expect (and what controls are available) when installing the Desktop Search. I've heard that, even if one chooses not to install it with the early production releases of SolidWorks 2007, the Search software gets added with subsequent service packs anyway.

I'm still debat> Just installed SW2008 on Friday. What good is this resource hog, Windows

Reply to
POH

An addendum -

The Advanced Options dialog also makes it possible to select specific drives and subfolders to include (or exclude) from the search index...

I elim> Before you unistall Windows Desktop Search, I suggest that you limit

Reply to
POH

Thanks for the replies, I found the long list of file types it searches and I unchecked most, it caused the indexer to start over, but it appears to have reduced the number of files to scan by 40-50%.

What's bugging me is even with the indexer 'snoozed' there is still a process running that's using all my cpu, 'searchfilterhost.exe'. Does this process stop after the indexing is done, or will it always be scanning my files?

Thanks Whit

Reply to
wc

Anybody know what is the reason for this crap, I never lose my files do I still need it?

Maybe it has something to do with the new search option inside SW

Or is it only Microsoft vs. Google fight ?

Desktop Search, that gets installed with

so far with ~40K more files to go...

to use 90%+ of mu CPU.

*and* I can get some kind of benefit I
Reply to
mr.T

Even my VAR couldn't give me a direct answer to what it's good for. I think I read somewhere it's used with 'Design Clipart' which allows you to reuse sketches and features from other files...

I uninstalled it today.

Whit

mr.T wrote:

Reply to
wc

Let me know what happened

read somewhere it's used with 'Design

still need it?

Reply to
mr.T

I think it has something to do with search capabilities within PDMworks.

Reply to
madcadman

I've noticed no downside to uninstalling WDS, we don't use PDM so I can't comment on that.

Whit

madcadman wrote:

Reply to
wc