Universal product naming/numbering?

So what do you use to keep track of what the next number is (not using any PDM)? I've been looking at using SWit because it has a nifty number generator, but I'm not sure how I'll make it work with prefixes. Prefix- serial#-description would make sense for my projects. (I already use Copernic to index based on descriptive file names). I can experiment more with SWit to see what that can do for me, but what is recommended?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Good advice!!

Thanks so much for your input!

Reply to
me

Understood

But I've still got to ask the question

And have gotten great feedback so far!

Reply to
me

Good question

Reply to
me

We keep spreadsheets on the engineering server for each part classification that any qualified person can access. When the next number is selected, the spreadsheet is filled out with the number, part description, author, date etc. Thus we know who issues the number, and have a common searchable record for part numbers. We do the same thing for ECO numbers.

Works for us!

bp DVC Co

Reply to
Brian Park

SMA offers some very sound advice.

However, I'm going to disagree on using a Manufacturer's part number to identifiy a file.

Typically, most users use the filename in a BOM table to identify the part.

If this part is used in several sub-assemblies or finished goods the number will probably appear in multiple drawing BOMs.

The manufacturer decides to make improvements to the part and indicates this by adding a dash number 12345_1 to identify this new "improved" part.

Rather than changing the value in a single place (Manufacturing BOM) that references this new improved part (new revision rather than totally new part - as it is backwards compatible) -- the user has to cut an ECO to change all the assembly drawings across multiple product lines in order to change the part number callout.

Had the company used a non-inteligent part number (or semi-intelligent) number that didn't change - they wouldn't have to touch any of the drawings - just cut an ECO stating the internal company part number was now referencing a new external company part number and the effective date.

i.e.

Company number: 23455 = 12345 Manufacturer number Comapny number: 23455 = 12345_1 New Manufacturer's number.

This new number shows up in the Manufacturing BOM, purchase orders, etc... and no reference drawings need to be revised or updated to reflect this simple change.

No assembly documents need to be revised either because the part number isn't hard coded into the text. A picklist is generated that is appended to the assembly document. This document is generated upon issuance of a work order and thus would pick up the new part number change.

This system works very well with PDM's that can take care of these complex relationships fairly easily.

The operative word is filename. Using PDM systems you rarely need to see the filename.All the pertinent information such as part number, description, etc.. can be searched faster than having to look up file names c/w descriptions, revisions, etc...

Just another point of view which should further cloud the issue.

Len

Sean-Michael Adams wrote:

Reply to
lmar

Agree!!

Its good to hear someone else "confirm" what my gut has been telling me abt this problem!

I was using a file naming procedure based on the date I created the mode;/drawing of the part.

Example.... say I modeled a bearing today. The drawing/part number is:

2005-06-22-01

where the last two digits, the "01" are just a sequential number

So if I did another drawing today it would end in "02". And so on. I figures I cant do more than 99 drawings in one day.

Reply to
me

Man this has been a great thread!!

Lost of good info!

Thanks all!

Reply to
me

I don't know how a date helps you much, but if it does then there doesn't occur to me to be any problems with it. You've got your unique numbers and it isn't "intelligent" in any sense that would cause somebody to ask for you to rename the file . . . UNLESS they wanted you to update the filename when you make a change on a new date (in which case ABANDON THAT SYSTEM quickly -- that's as bad as having a revision in the filename, or maybe even worse).

Regarding having the NUMBER in the filename the same as the part number

-- certainly that's VERY helpful and I recommend it highly. In the very least that means that Windows Explorer can be used to find a file that reflects a particular part in a BOM, and there are other benefits as well. But in many companies' systems a dash number suffix (e.g., -1 or

-2) can be added to the NUMBER in the filename to reflect similar but slightly different parts . . . like left-hand and right-hand parts or parts with and without a hole or other feature. Most parametric CAD software's ability to create "configurations" of parts or assemblies can be leveraged that way so that you have ONE drawing file (with multiple sheets) to reflect ONE component model file (with multiple configurations). The way I do it, I don't add a dash number to the number in the filename unless I have multiple configurations, but you COULD do it so that you ALWAYS add a -1 suffix, and then if you add a configuration later it simply takes a -2 suffix. In one way that's less problematic in that you don't have to change the part number of the original part (by adding a -1 -- because it's already there), and that also prevents you from having to change the next assembly (affect to the BOM).

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet>

Reply to
Sporkman

The only problem I can see with that system is in the case of a multi-user environment. A prefix with your initials should take care of that.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

well the deal with using the date and a sequential number is that it is always a "unique" number. No way can the method for mating the number allow the number to be created more than once.

Reply to
me

Since you *are* in the mood of trying out different number generator(s), you can also have a look at "swCP3" available FREE at

before making your decision.

Regards,

Vinodh Kumar M.

GreenHex