Verification on rebuild

FWIW I have updated my benchmarking site with two utilities:

Rebuild.swp which I posted as source a few days ago and TSToolbox which some people have been looking for. Rebuild has a timer in it now which reports rebuild time in a message box. TSToolbox might come in handy checking the effect of older version information in new documents in that it reports the version history of a document.

Reply to
TOP

My understanding as to what Verification on rebuild actually does (which tallies with why it works hardest on shells, internal fillets and such):

When you do a forced rebuild WITHOUT Verification, every surface is checked to ensure it does not interpenetrate with ADJACENT surfaces in the model

When you do a forced rebuild WITH Verification, every surface is checked to ensure it does not interpenetrate with ALL surfaces in the model

It used to be easy to fool SldWks with it turned off: shell a rectangular block, then put an exterior fillet around the top face, radius exceeding wall thickness. In the old days, this would create a dodgy Escher figure where the interior square corner protruded past the exterior fillet, but the rebuild would only fail if VoR was turned on.

I think you have to try a little harder these days, but the same principles seem to apply, which gives you a steer as to when it might be important to turn it on.

Sorry if everyone already knew this, it's just no-one seems to have mentioned it here.

Andrew Troup

Reply to
Andrew Troup