very basic tip (which you may know already)

To add a number to a dimension, you don't need a '+' symbol. Just type the number to be added in the dim box: ie. 2.00in.1 will become 2.1. That's it. Heh, it's one less keystroke!

Reply to
Zander

I don't recall wanting to change a dimension this way, except in the days of paper drawings.

Why is it done?

Thanks - Bo

Zander wrote:

Reply to
Bo

OK, I'm a litte embarresd to admit this , but I just found out a week or so ago that in a part (or assembly) that is set up for inches you can type 30mm and 1.181" (or visa versa). (for Daisy, You can use any number you want. 30mm was just an example)

Muggs

Zander wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Bo,

I actually do this all the time when I'm making a part that needs to be same length as two other parts or two (or three) parts of other parts.

Muggs

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Early Morning High Density: OK, I get what Zander was saying and understand.

I was up too late last night.

Bo

Muggs wrote:

Reply to
Bo

I suppose I should have elaborated a bit. I use this when clicking on features of my model to expose that features dimensions, then dbl-click on dim to change it's value, usually I want to add some value, clearance or whatever.

Zander

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Zander

That's a good tip to know. I had never seen that before. Thanks for sharing. I always assumed it wouldn't work because 2.00.1 gets me in trouble every time.

Reply to
matt

Didn't know you could drop the + or that you could enter " for inches. 99.9 of what I do is in mm but when working with standard imperial size pipe and tube this will come in very handy.

Thanks

John Layne

John Layne

Something's different on mine (SW2007 SP1.0) in that if I try the same thing, I get 3, not 2.1 - make's me nervous in not REALLY knowing what's going to happen.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

That's just too funny - WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??? :-))) I don't think I would ever admit to something quite that bad - too funny! (I know, paybacks are hell.......) Hey, at least you know now, though. :-)) You can also use nm for nanometers, m for meters, a for angstroms, etc.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Yeah someday I hope to be able to play with the big brainers.

Muggs

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Go swim in the adult pool?? :-000

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

That doesn't make sense? Where are you entering the information? If you have an existing dim that is 2", when you dbl click on that dim it will display in a 'modify' box where it will display something like

2.00in Note this wouldn't actually work without the in at the end of the existing value. If the in is not there so the modify box just reads 2.00 and you type .1 so it now reads 2.00.1 it cannot parse that and will ask you to re-enter a value.

At that point if you wanted to add .1" to the value normally you would type "+.1" but if you just type ".1" sw will assume the plus symbol and evaluate to 2.1"

Note: maybe it isn't very common in such a case where you can easily know the result in your head and just highlight the whole value and retype 2.1 into the modify dialogue. But I'm usually working with dim's like 1.3867574 + .04768 or some other number I've copied out of the measurement tool.

Anyhow, I can't imagine how you got it to display 3? How could such a small tip get so complicated sounding! :)

Zander

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Zander

He got it to display "3" by typing a 1 after the "in" instead of a ".1".

Reply to
JKimmel

Also can mix units within the same dimension

304mm + .5 in = 316.7mm .5 in + 304mm = 12.47 in

Kman

Reply to
Kman

I have done several training courses in SW and I have foiund this training invaluable for knowing these little "tricks".

Alex

Kman wrote:

Reply to
Alex

Along with the things mentioned above I also use 1+15/32 (to get one and 15 32nds of an inch) to enter fractional values for dimensions (substitute what ever whole number and fraction you want). Simple once you know you can do it but based on the other posts I thought I'd mention it.

Rory

Reply to
Rory

You should be carefull however, not to type in sm after the dim, or it will turn the part into sheet metal.

Diego

Reply to
Diego