virtual memory settings....?

What is the latest recommendation for your vm setting? I have 2gb of ram and it is currently is set at 384mb. 2x, 3x or 4x? Also do i set the numbers the same or have a min max? TIA

Reply to
3d

Set them the same. If you let Windows automatically resize the page file, it accelerated fragmentation of the page file.

What number to choose depends on your max workload. Look at the MEM usage in the Task Manager. Load up you largest files and see how high that number goes. Subtract the amount of physical memory you have, then set the virtual memory to a number larger than you came up with. If you came up with zero, congratulations! You have too much memory.

Leave it that way. (Unless you will rarely use the capacity of whichever memory module you might take out.) Set the page file to zero to prevent any paging to the HD. Windows will page to the HD even when it doesn't need to. The next time you reboot, you'll get a warning about how a minimum page file was created to enable writing of debugging info in the event of a crash. I don't remember this minimum size, but once it tells you, set a page file that size to prevent further messages on reboot.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

thanks dale!

Reply to