working with automotive models/assemblies? computer specs for success?

What OS are you running? What is your hardware recommendations?

I need a faster? more powerful? system!

We just dropped many thousands of $$$$ for a translater that my system will barely run (or i think it can run). but once I get it from Cat V5 I fear I will not even be able to import it into SWX. (As of this post I am currently exporting to a Solidworks file...i am at 10% for the last 45 min) These parts have an extreme number of stiffen gussets, honeycomb patters and filleted at ever corner inside and out so they get quite huge.

I have read many of the "new system" threads but i am looking for specific experiences, facts and suggestions.

Shoudl I roll to 64 bit? If so, can i do it with my current sytem buy only changing a few components?

Thanks everybody!

Sup BobZee!! >B~{|>

Cheers! c[[]]

My system: win xp sp3 - 32 bit asus a8n sli premium mobo

4gb ram (3gb switch) GeForce 7950 GX2 (wasn't my choice but what he got me ;-( any other info needed please ask!
Reply to
respectbeer

well, we do believe the most pertinent info right now would be what processor are you running. bob z. knows someone posted recently that all processors are 64-bit. what? hee-hee. your processor might not have grandfathered in to be a 64-bit, so that right there will be important to know. yes, bob z. HIGHLY recommends you go to a 64-bit operating system. bob z. thinks in his own very opinionated way, that you are quite silly if you haven't gone to a 64-bit OS back in about june of 2007. seriously, this is july of 2008. solidworks is GETTING NO FASTER. disclaimer alert: before anyone gets excited, bob z. knows that a 64-bit OS will not make you faster. it WILL allow you to do stuff you hadn't previously been able to do. solidworks files are getting no smaller either.

RAM is what is needed to fight this evil beast and to utilize this ram, you must have an operating system that will support it!

bob z. p.s. good luck!

Reply to
bob zee

Transmagic 7 sp2. Catia V5 in parasolid out (transmagics suggested export for SolidWorks) How can I monitor the paging and thrashing? Transmagic alone is using

1.6gb of ram

i agree there may be a system problem. we have an offsite IT guy that built the computers so I don't really know how smooth the builds went.

any suggestions on evaluating the systems integrity?

thanks for the quick respone

Reply to
respectbeer

I used Transmagic on CATIA files, no problems and translation didn't take long.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

You can just import the Parasolid files into SW without using Transmagic to see how your system will behave. (I assume that Transmagic is supposed to give you a higher quality import, so things would only get better if you get the issues with Transmagic worked out.)

How much is the total memory usage? Or do you mean that your total memory usage when running Transmagic is 1.6GB? If that is it, you shouldn't be paging.

Set up the columns in Task Manager to look at Peak Mem Usage, Page Faults and PF Delta. As I understand it (and I don't understand very much, but you haven't gotten any feedback from those who know better) a page fault will happen each time something is loaded into memory from disk. PF Delta shows the number of page faults since the last refresh of the manager values.

I've heard from others on this news group that the Task Manager doesn't do a very good job of showing the "real" memory usage. I never got the other methods (which I've forgotten now) to show anything different, but that was probably incompetence on my part. You might search this group on google to see if you can find the threads and have better luck.

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

?????, he is trying to use Transmagic to translate his CATIA file to Parasolid for import into SolidWorks. No Transmagic no Parasolid file.

Reply to
brewertr

Hey, I'm still running on a 32 bit processor.

TOP

Reply to
TOP