027 shorting problem

I have been trying to coax my **old** 027 guage locomotive back into action. [This is the one I had as a boy back in the 50's and I was NOT gentle...]

motor runs ok, but in passing from track to track the engine will reverse or stop altogether. Its especially bad when going over the power link. So I assume theres a short somewhere. Fellow at a local hobby shop says it sounds like the "e-link."

I have no idea what an e-link is, where to find it, or how to service it.

Any suggestions MOST welcomed!

thanks

Reply to
myold1130

What's the catalog number of the locomotive (on the cab - 2037, etc.), and what track are you running it on? The Lionel reverser relay (called the "e-unit", not the e-link) cycles (from forward to stop to reverse to stop to forward etc.) each time power is interrupted. Lionel cautioned that some O-27 engines would do this if operated on O gauge track, due to the closer spacing of the third rail power pickups on O-27 locos and the wider insulated gaps on some O gauge track components - notably O-22 switches. This can also be a problem with O-27 locos on O-27 track if one of the springs pressing the pickups down on the center rail is weak; you might try fiddling with the spring (often a flat leaf spring that can get bent) to increase the downward pressure on the pickups. Also, very dirty track can cause a momentary interruption of power that will cycle the e-unit. Have you cleaned the track? Rub fine sand paper over the rail heads (don't use steel wool as this leaves fine fibers behind that can damage the loco's bearings). You also can lock out the e-unit with the little silver lever, usually on the top of steamers or the bottom of diesels, so the loco will continuously operate in the last direction used. (But note that gravity will also cycle the e-unit each time you turn the loco upside-down and back.) GQ

Reply to
Geezer

A Lionel E-unit is an Engine reversing device...

with rotating drum & 4 copper fingers.... and coil ratchet arm...

If the drum 'end pins' are worn... drum will rotate poorly ... No Fore-Neutral-Reverse-Neutral-Foreward..etc

There is also a 'magnetic plunger' arm that ratchets the drum.... when power is shut off to the engine...

A good Li>

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

The previous suggestions are all valid and cover the usual problems, but there is one more if you are using 022 (O Gauge) switches. The flat tin link that connects the short sections of the third rail tends to come unsoldered, leaving a dead section of third rail (most often the curved route).

To check, dissassemble the switch by first removing the motor unit, then the three screws that hold the back cover to the switch. You will see the jumper strips readily, and also if any are unsoldered at the ends.

Walt

Reply to
OLDFARHT

Thanks for the info.

The cab number is 1130.

Some of the track is very new, and not needing cleaned, but still causes cycling. I'll look at the springs and the e-unit & etc. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Is there any source of online documentation?

Reply to
myold1130