AHM/IHC GG1 to EP3 Kitbash Question

Yupp, that's just like the NZR's quill drives, except that we have a narrower gauge and the axle goes all the way from wheel to wheel! (just joking :-)

The driving axle still needs vertical movement in relation to the electric motor and I don't like the sound of the quill springs slapping loosely between the driving wheel spokes =8^] I had something like that on an old Triumph motorcycle "sprung-hub" rear wheel once the rubbers wore out - it wasn't nice and I'd guess it would be even worse on a loco wheel, given the forces involved!

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Anyone find anything more on this?

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

On 9/14/2007 9:55 PM Len spake thus:

Just to follow up on this thread, here's a picture (via poor man's digicam, my scanner) of my IHC GG-1s "C" truck:

(large picture)

Pretty damn good detail, I think. (This is the Mehano model, made in Slovenia, which I bought sometime in the early '90s.) I hit the trucks with flat black paint to kill the plastic look.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

An idea other folks should use, at least for relatively low depth of field objects like that, unless their digicam has good macro capability and they know how to use it.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Pity they didn't bother to match the wheelbase of the wheelsets to that of the sideframes. Points for the wheel center detail though...

fl@liner

Reply to
fubar

Ok, splain that one...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Wheel centers don't line up with axle bearings, brake shoes way out of kilter, etc. It looks like they took a shortcut and just faked it by using an existing gearbox, etc., instead of doing it right. Like we've never seen that done before... They DID go to the trouble of doing the quill drive bits that are visible on the wheels.

fl@liner

Reply to
fubar

Ah... Well it's close anyways and the only game in town this side of brass...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

On 10/5/2007 7:26 AM fl@liner spake thus:

I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Since the error is on the order of borderline invisible, especially at "normal viewing distance", I'm going to write this off as a needless nitpick. (Wonder how many other otherwise faithful models have this same defect? Now I'm going to have to go through my "roster" ...)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Don't bother - if you liked the models then shouldn't that be good enough?

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

It about has to be that way. Our models are full of errors of all sorts, but our eyes mercifully ignore the fact that things aren't quite right. You

*might* be able to get a museum quality model, but even it will have a few things fudged on it.

fl@liner

Reply to
fubar

Well said!