Am I being paranoid or is someone out to get me?

As most of the regular readers know I have been operating my fotopic site http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net / for just over 2 months.
As part of that site's facilities I get a weekly report on the top visitors. Last week's highest had the highest number at 361 hits with the next nearest being 97 hits - and the next highest were all about that number.
What 'concerns' me <tongue slightly in cheek> is that the last part of the top visitor's address is (first part removed..) washdc.east.verizon.net
Can someone shed any light on this address? Am I being monitored by some secret agent in a deep, dark, recess in Washington DC because of the caption I've put on Cliff's photo at http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p51819376.html there have been over 1000 hits on this picture alone.
If there is someone who is genuinely interested in the photos please do let me know and put me out of misery :-))
<ducks while others try to put me out of their misery>
<slinks away to fx of Paranoia by Black Sabbath at loud volume>
--
Mike Hughes
Well according to some BTP officers thinking, you are a photogher so must therefore be a terrorist, maybe the CIA are thinking along the same lines.

LOL
Have a look at the August issue of Taxi "talk" magazine (www.taxitalk.co.uk) when it's posted to the web i a couple of days to see an article and photos I've taken at Brighton!

--
Mike Hughes
Mike Hughes wrote:

<snip> Just remember, even paranoids have real enemies.
mark

No.
Verizon is a big consumer ISP. This simply means the reader is connected via their DC node, which is in their eastern division.
No more suspicious than ....london.southeast.bigisp.co.uk.
--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home: < snipped-for-privacy@davros.org>
Tel: +44 20 8495 6138 (work) | Web: <http://www.davros.org

There are sites that can draw you a little map of where the address resolves to physically, and who the IP blongs too if you are really worried - but it's more likely that someone found it funny as passed the link around the office or whatever (so you only see their gateway IP address). If it were Uncle Sam looking for some silo's they've lost, the IP would be fake anyway......
Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb

Always been a mystery to me, if you have a fake IP address how does the response get back to you ?
Cheers, Simon

Not so much "fake" perhaps, as "stealth". Registered to a different entity that does not cause any suspicion.
--
Roland Perry

remarked:

Do you mean they dont use domain fbi.org - The rotters
Cheers, Simon

fbi.gov shirley?
--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Has gov been around that long ?
Cheers, Simon
That photo, http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p51819376.html , now I think about it looks like part of Area 51 as it was back in the 50's.
Dont worry about the FBI, but the MIB may pay a visit !
http://www.darkfacts.com/UFOs%20and%20Aliens/area51sign_Hazard_1.gif
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/18/AR2008021802230.html
In message

ROTFL
Love it, love it, love it :-)))
--
Mike Hughes

Obscurity via counter dis-information of the the dis-information.
Steve the Other -- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.
Working the rockie road of the G&PX
" Do you mean they dont use domain fbi.org - The rotters "
No ! they use Fake Boob Inspectors.com

You set up the account then the fake IP address disappears after a few days
Chris

You set up the account then the fake IP address disappears after a few days
Chris
Thats just a temporary account - its easier to use big ISP and get a dynamic address every time - thats anonymous to all except the ISP. Fake should be something different.
Cheers, Simon
In message
remarked:

Disappears in what sense? Stops being announced by their upstream, gets de-registered by the LIR or RIR??
--
Roland Perry

Methinks someone upthread doesn't know what an IP address is.
Sam

When I post this, the IP address of my router with this machine tacked on the end will be inserted into the header of the message. Also included will be the name corresponding to the textual address as found on a name server (akin to looking up someones postal address from their phone number in the phone book - the name is purely for us mortals use), so something like
123.456.789.012 scroggins.scroggins.com
If I were a spammer or didn't want to be traced for some reason I could edit the message so those two would be purley fictitious. You wouldn't be able to reply, but then that's the plan. The "internet" never looks back to where a message came from unless it cannot be delivered, in which case it will wonder about a bit, find no valid sender, and fade away.
Often spammers will use someone else's valid address to make it look good (and, should someone look, by say "pinging" the address and getting a response, it may appear valid) - that's when you start getting thousands of replies to messages you never sent!
There's also other cunning plans that effectively pick a machine somewhere and use that ones IP instead, thus the connection between the actual sender and the observed sender is pretty much untraceable but the poor souls machine appears to the sender - and they get blacklisted!

Cheers Richard