American diesel locomotives quiz

The quiz has a slight Chicago & North Western bias to it... I got 8 out 10 - I obviously need to learn a little more about Union Pacific gas turbines and Amtrak's Superliners.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Thanks for the link! Fun quiz. I got 8 out of 10 right too. I missed BOTH of the Amtrak questions (shows how interested I am in "modern" passenger service). The UP gas turbine question was a little too generic, I think. Only their 10,000 Gross Horsepower (8500HP at the rail) turbines were referred to as "Big Blows". Although I could be mistaken. I remember reading a story that one of the UP gas turbines had been parked under a highway overpass. It heated up and softened the asphalt so much that it blew chunks of the roadway into the air. And upon falling back to earth, the turbine ingested them. Expensive repair bill, I'll bet! But I digress...

Jeff

Reply to
1shado1

A. [ ] stinky B. [ ] harshly noisy C. [ ] boxy D. [ ] as soul-less as an HMO E. [ ] all the above

Reply to
Steve Caple

LOL! So you know my ex-wife, huh?

Jeff

Reply to
1shado1

Got all 10! Had to guess on 1 question (number of locos boutght) but nailed it. Most of the questions have easy answers which can be deduced by the other wrong answer selections.

Bob May

I somehow got 8 out of 10 -- one wrong was the amount of the CNW units (only 1, I guessed 5) and stupid me, I picked Super Chief instead of El Capitan fro the Hi-Level answer....something I should have known.

Brain fart....

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Gosh no, I was thinking of Dick Cheney! Does your ex look like him?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Perfect!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I took Super Chief too... why should El Capitan been the obvious answer?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

On your first or second try?

I got eight out of ten on the first and surpise! ten out of ten on the second.

See what studying will do for you. ;-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

On your first or second try?

I got eight out of ten on the first and surpise! ten out of ten on the second.

See what studying will do for you. ;-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

On your first or second try?

I got eight out of ten on the first and surpise! ten out of ten on the second.

See what studying will do for you. ;-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Rather to my surprise, I also got 8/10. Two or three of my correct answers were lucky guesses -- but I still seem to know more abou this than I had thought!

-- Kizhe

Reply to
Lt. Kizhe Catson

For one thing, the Super was an all-sleeper train (apart from the obvious lounges, dome, diner, etc.)!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I got 9 out of 10. Missed the "not an ALCO product" question.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

I got 8 too, but actually had 9. I said "torpedo tube" instead of "torpedo tubes", so I think that one should be right ;^)

Reply to
me

Awww... that was the EASY one! :-)

Reply to
Mark Mathu

OK, not being a historical passenger guy, I can see how that the Super Chief

*isn't* the answer. But I can not see how some negative answer is a reason why something else should be the correct answer.

... to repeat the question (since it seems to have been lost on the way)... why should El Capitan been the obvious answer?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

What do you mean "second try"? There is only one try and you have to answer the questions from your memory. No fair looking up the answer somewhere else.

Bob May

I got that one because I remembered when the El Cap got those cars. They were a "step ahead" with the cars. In addition, the Super Chief was the primary train and more "traditional" than the El Capitan.

Bob May