American diesel locomotives quiz

http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz114458d1c938.html
The quiz has a slight Chicago & North Western bias to it... I got 8 out 10 -
I obviously need to learn a little more about Union Pacific gas turbines and Amtrak's Superliners.
--
Mark

Mark Mathu wrote:

Thanks for the link! Fun quiz. I got 8 out of 10 right too. I missed BOTH of the Amtrak questions (shows how interested I am in "modern" passenger service). The UP gas turbine question was a little too generic, I think. Only their 10,000 Gross Horsepower (8500HP at the rail) turbines were referred to as "Big Blows". Although I could be mistaken. I remember reading a story that one of the UP gas turbines had been parked under a highway overpass. It heated up and softened the asphalt so much that it blew chunks of the roadway into the air. And upon falling back to earth, the turbine ingested them. Expensive repair bill, I'll bet! But I digress...
Jeff
A. [ ] stinky B. [ ] harshly noisy C. [ ] boxy D. [ ] as soul-less as an HMO E. [ ] all the above
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

LOL! So you know my ex-wife, huh?
Jeff
On 25 May 2005 10:51:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Gosh no, I was thinking of Dick Cheney! Does your ex look like him?
--
Steve

Got all 10! Had to guess on 1 question (number of locos boutght) but nailed it. Most of the questions have easy answers which can be deduced by the other wrong answer selections.
On your first or second try?
I got eight out of ten on the first and surpise! ten out of ten on the second.
See what studying will do for you. ;-)
Eric
What do you mean "second try"? There is only one try and you have to answer the questions from your memory. No fair looking up the answer somewhere else.
On your first or second try?
I got eight out of ten on the first and surpise! ten out of ten on the second.
See what studying will do for you. ;-)
Eric
On your first or second try?
I got eight out of ten on the first and surpise! ten out of ten on the second.
See what studying will do for you. ;-)
Eric
:

I somehow got 8 out of 10 -- one wrong was the amount of the CNW units (only 1, I guessed 5) and stupid me, I picked Super Chief instead of El Capitan fro the Hi-Level answer....something I should have known.
Brain fart....

I took Super Chief too... why should El Capitan been the obvious answer?
On 5/25/05 6:38 PM, in article 108le.751$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com,

For one thing, the Super was an all-sleeper train (apart from the obvious lounges, dome, diner, etc.)!
--
Brian Ehni

OK, not being a historical passenger guy, I can see how that the Super Chief *isn't* the answer. But I can not see how some negative answer is a reason why something else should be the correct answer.
... to repeat the question (since it seems to have been lost on the way)... why should El Capitan been the obvious answer?
I got that one because I remembered when the El Cap got those cars. They were a "step ahead" with the cars. In addition, the Super Chief was the primary train and more "traditional" than the El Capitan.
On 5/26/05 3:06 AM, in article _rfle.2160$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com,

Because THAT was the train for which ATSF specifically ordered the first of the high levels for. Although they eventually showed up on most all ATSF first line trains, they were the showpiece of the re-equipped El Capitan in the mid 50's (1955 IIRC).
So, not so obvious in my opinion, unless you knew the answer.
--
Brian Ehni

The El Capitan was renowned for the bi-level cars.
Kennedy
Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
On 5/25/05 5:07 AM, in article B7Yke.712$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com,

Perfect!
--
Brian Ehni

Mark Mathu wrote:

Rather to my surprise, I also got 8/10. Two or three of my correct answers were lucky guesses -- but I still seem to know more abou this than I had thought!
-- Kizhe
Mark Mathu wrote:

I got 9 out of 10. Missed the "not an ALCO product" question.
Regards,
DAve