American Flyer Crossing Gates

Hello fellow railroaders, especially S-gaugers. Does anyone know the
internal difference between the Gilbert #591 and #592 automatic crossing
gates? The #592 is designed to be operated by a pressure trip while the
#591 uses an isolated track section and a one-wire track terminal. I have
the later #600 gate that also uses an isolated block and an external
electromagnetic track trip (relay). I have a hunch that this relay is
internal to the #591.
Interesting evolution on the crossing gates. Gilbert finally settled on a
manual pushbutton-operated gate (not nearly as nice looking as the earlier
designs IMHO)! Guess the other types proved problematic. Sincerely,
John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337