American Flyer Crossing Gates

Hello fellow railroaders, especially S-gaugers. Does anyone know the internal difference between the Gilbert #591 and #592 automatic crossing gates? The #592 is designed to be operated by a pressure trip while the #591 uses an isolated track section and a one-wire track terminal. I have the later #600 gate that also uses an isolated block and an external electromagnetic track trip (relay). I have a hunch that this relay is internal to the #591.

Interesting evolution on the crossing gates. Gilbert finally settled on a manual pushbutton-operated gate (not nearly as nice looking as the earlier designs IMHO)! Guess the other types proved problematic. Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@itd.nrl.navy.mil Naval Research Laboratory

4555 Overlook Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20375-5337
Reply to
J. B. Wood