Athearn light Pacific

Anybody know if NWSL does gears for the Athearn light Pacific. I just got one. Tried it Saturday and the gear apparently broke. Athearn has no idea when they may get parts. They suggest NWSL. Anybody know? Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE

"STEAM GENE

I had the same problem with one of my 4-6-2s Gene. I was lucky, Athearn had the parts in stock and sent me a new driving wheel set complete with gear attached. We are not alone in experiencing this problem. It comes from plastic gears being forced onto a steel axle. The stress on the plastic gear becomes too much and it cracks, leaving you with a engine.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I have had good luck with NWSL giving them a call and asking. I have never been able to make much sense of the catalog.

Tom G.

Reply to
newscorrespondent

Worst case solution is that NWSL will custom cut just about any small gear for you ... I've had it done (NOT for the model in question), but it's NOT cheap! Once they have the set-up, get a few extra gears. The cost is 90% for the custom set up, the gears themselves are relatively cheap.

Hopefully NWSL may have a standard off the shelf item that will work. If this proves a common problem, they may well have such. Or, Athearn may get a restock. Good luck!

Dan Mitchell ==========

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Roger, you were in luck. Athearn's reply was in the line of "Nope." I've received the same information from a guy in Australia - he's been waiting 8 months or so. I tried e-mailing NWSL, but I think I will call them. Athearn did send me disassembly instructions, apparently sent to them by somebody who'd figured out how to do it. Damn strange way to put a steam locomotive together, IMHO. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE

"STEAM GENE"

Mine happened a few months after the model was introduced. Guess they still had parts back then.

Wonder of they've ever heard of "customer service"?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Back before they built the models in China, parts were no problem. Now that no-ones building their own models anymore, the notion of being able to buy spare parts has gone the way of the buggy whip. The Chinese models are made to be thrown away when they break or wear out. Very few importers will want to go through the hassle of buying spares from the Chinese factories.

Don

Reply to
Trainman

The problem with this scenario is that the Athearn light pacific is made is Korea by Samhongsa. And Sam had been supplying parts (or fixing the engines), I suspect one should ask the new owners of Athearn why there is a problem.

Reply to
Jon Miller