Big Boy turns me on!

Hi,
I recently told a friend that when I see pictures of the 4-8-8-4, Big Boy, especially when a trainman is posing next to one of its wheels,
my poor little heart races! He said that there must be something wrong with me in the brain department. The Big Boy is just plain Magnificent, agesterial and awe inspiring. Poor me!
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What the heck is "agesterial"?
I am a huge fan of the Union Pacific Big Boy too. Had a Rivarossi Big Boy when I was 10. Had a Con-Cor/Rivarossi Big Boy in N scale recently, also. My dream is to get one in brass someday. I also have a couple of framed lithographs of Big Boys on my wall, along with a bunch of photos in a frame of Big Boy 4017 I took up at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin (also got pics of Challenger 3985 when it came through Milwaukee on a fantrip a couple of years ago). The gift shop used to sell life sized plaster casts of the UP 4017 shield painted silver and black. Mine fell off the wall and shattered into a zillion pieces (sniffle). I'm guessing they got in hot water with the UP, because they don't sell them any more (sniffle). I'd hock my socks to get one. I guess you could say I'm a Big Boy fan too.
Jeff
     snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net writes:

The tendency to make up words when excited???? *8->
snipped-for-privacy@pimin.rockhead.com (Paul Newhouse) wrote in

Can't find it in any online dictionary. As close as we come is "agrestical", a variant on "agrestic" mean crude or rustic.
Norman Morgan <> http://www.norm-morgan.com
Norman Morgan wrote:

Hmmm....I was thinking maybe magisterial, but forgot the "m"? magisterial: 1. of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a master or teacher. 2. marked by an overbearingly dignified or assured manner or aspect.
Jeff

I didn't write that, Jeff or Mike did. I wrote:
::: The tendency to make up words when excited???? *8->

We're makin' stuff up here ... get with the program!!!
Paul Newhouse wrote:

Good one Paul. LMAO. Related to "hysterical", I'm guessing? "oh, oh. There he goes, gettin' all AGESTERIAL on us again!" My ex brother in law called me "monoxious" once. I found the word so intriguing, I had to go try to look it up. When I couldn't find it, I asked him the next day what "monoxious" was. He told me it was a combination of monotonous, and obnoxious. I was quite impressed with his "linguistic resourcefulness"...
Jeff
Yes the Big Boy is my favorite too!
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Big Boy has the most horse power at 7000! How many loaded cars over flat terrain that it can pull I do not know! My guess it would be 150! I should know shouldn't I but the stats escape me! What do the other 2 articulated loco's do in terms of hp?
There is one in brass and one in another metal!
Compare that to todays engines what railroad has the highest hp! Correct me if I am wrong again, I think UP has the engine that has the highest hp. What is the highest hp in todays locomotive? I think 5000hp! Another topic I know on an another board! I am just doing a comparison that is all! thebullroars
The C&O H8 could develope 8000 HP. BTW, there were many more than two other articulateds. C&O alone had eight classes with three wheel arrangements (H1 - 6, 2-6-6-2; H7, 2-8-8-2; H8 2-6-6-6) ebullroars wrote:

I don't know about the horsepower ratings of these guys but I have pictures of 2-8-8-8-2's with the Erie name and a 2-8-8-8-4 Virginian (the third set of drivers were set under the tender). If I remember correctly, they were experimental and didn't live up to expectations. I wish I could have seen these come down the tracks....

Boiler couldn't produce enough steam if I remember correctly.
G.M. wrote:

Whee! ... it's the 'largest steam loco' thread, again ... and AGAIN!
The most powerful steam loco was the PRR Q-2, a huge duplex (non articulated) 4-4-6-4, that tested under controlled conditions at JUST shy of 8000 hp.
The C&O H8 could, on paper, do as well, but was never tested in a way that fully documented this. In any event, it was in the same league, and most impressive.
Both were considerably more powerful than the Big Boy.
The Triplexes (MUCH earlier locomotives) had far more tractive effort, but had much smaller boilers, so were not even 'in' the horsepower contest with many other steam locos. Generally, none of the Mallets (compounds) were impressive in horsepower. They were nearly all tractive effort machines.
Several conventional Mallets, or Mallet-style 'simple' locos, could also better the Q2, H8, and Big Boy in pure tractive effort. These include the Virginian AE 2-10+10-2 (the "T.E." champ), the GN R2 2-8+8-2, and the DM&IR Yellowstones. None of these were particularly impressive in the pure horsepower area.
Fact is, NO one steam loco was clearly 'the biggest'. Several locos share various pieces of this title. Factors to consider are length, overall weight, weight on drivers, boiler horsepower, tractive effort, grate area, factor of adhesion, and perhaps a few other things.
Dan Mitchell ==========
Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:

People seem to forget the smaller gauges as well.
And also what gauge did the loco run on. eg
Metre gauge, EAR 59 class garrat go to http://www.livesteaming.com/Kenya to see one in operation.
3'6" The SAR GL class garrat
Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:

People seem to forget the smaller gauges as well.
And also what gauge did the loco run on. eg
Metre gauge, EAR 59 class garrat go to http://www.livesteaming.com/Kenya.htm to see one in operation.
3'6" The SAR GL class garrat
| Compare that to todays engines what railroad has the highest hp! | Correct me if I am wrong again, I think UP has the engine that has | the highest hp. What is the highest hp in todays locomotive? | I think 5000hp!
New Jersey Transit. ALP-46, 7,100 hp continuous. Over 10,000 short term.
The variations of the E60CP, AEM-7 and ALP-44 owned by Amtrak, NJT and a bunch of other commuter authorities aren't far behind in HP. 6000 - 7000 continous and close to 10,000 short term. Remember that HP is speed, not lugging power.
CTucker NY
Find a picture of the C&O H8, 2-6-6-6. Now that is an awesome loco.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

G.M. wrote:

Yes, I've seen photos of the Allegheny. It is a MOST impressive locomotive. Gives the impression of brute force. Comparatively, appearance wise, the Big Boy almost looks streamlined. It gives the impression (at least to me), of BOTH strength AND speed. Which is handsomer is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I think the reason I like the Big Boys is because it was the first LARGE steam loco I saw as a child. Children, and us guys in general, seem to be attracted by the largest mechanical "monsters" we can find. The N&W Y and A classes, The SP Cab Forwards, The Yellowstones, The Duplexes, The Triplexes, The Challengers, The UP 9000s, UP Big Blow Gas Turbines, DDA40X Centennials, even the Beyer-Garretts, to name a few. Large is cool.
Jeff
On 15 Jun 2005 11:00:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Now there's a natural name if ever there were!
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

I can't argue with that...