Can the straight path through a turnout be considered diverging?

I'm installing dwarf signals to indicate turnout setting, using green for normal and yellow for diverging. Usually normal is straight and diverging is the curved or angle leg of the turnout. I just reached a place where straight takes the train into the yard and curved continues on the main line. Would the prototype signal the straight as diverging (yellow) and the curved as normal (green)?

Reply to
Old.Professor

It depends. If you are using "route signaling" (where the interlocking signals tell the engineer what route he is lined up to take), then having the main line curved route show green and the route into the yard show yellow could be appropriate. In the US after about 1900, particularly on the big eastern roads (PRR, NYC, B&O, etc.), "speed signaling" became popular (where the signals tell the engineer how fast he can go, but not necessarily which route he is taking). In this case, you might want the route into the yard to show "slow clear" which is often green on a dwarf, and the main line route to show "limited clear" (often flashing green on a dwarf) or "medium clear" (sometimes green over flashing red on a dwarf) depending on how sharp the turnout is (limited speed is often 45 mph, medium

30, and slow 15). Geezer
Reply to
Geezer

Huh? What route signalling systems code routes in that manner?

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

The "problem" there is the use of the term "straight".

Different railways used different terms, such as "main" and "diverging"or secondary". Using those terms the curve becomes "main" and the straight becomes "diverging".

Regards, Greg.P.

PS Ignore the ensuing posts from Ray, Steve, etc which will point out that I'm anti-american, racist, stupid, syphilus laden, Bin Laden, ...

Reply to
Greg Procter

Whatever route the main track takes would be considered the normal route. whether some type of dwarf signal is used, or a simple metal target on the switch, you would show the "clear" route for the main route and "diverging" for the auxillary tracks.

Just as an example, the Freight Lead at Inman Yard in Atlanta GA takes a sharp turn to the right at the #3 switch on the south end, if you continued straight you'd go down Forwarding Yard Three, but the right turn continues on down the freight lead. The target on the #3 switch is white for the freight lead and red for Forwarding Yard #3 (and so are the rest of the targets down that ladder.

Reply to
bladeslinger

"Greg Procter" wrote

Why would you think it's necessary for anyone to point those things out?

Reply to
P. Roehling

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 20:33:58 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "P. Roehling" instead replied:

It's tough but someone has to do it.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

If I could fathom out the workings of your little minds I wouldn't have bothered to mention it.

Reply to
Greg Procter

So long as we give you something to do between dole cheques.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:03:17 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

I own lots of stock in Dole Pineapple. Hawaii is my oyster.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

wrote

Good example. Thanks.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Reply to
Roger T.

Is this your layout at

Or is it club sponsored.

Reply to
Big Al

"Big Al"

It's mine. In my basement.

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

And a fine layout it is, too. I previoulsy visited about a year ago.

Pretty large tender for #164, eh?

Reply to
Wolf K.

I used to get up there quite frequently before I retired. I live in Maryland. There were a ton of good train stores a few miles East of Fraser Valley I always went to when out there. I haven't found a good store in my area yet.

Reply to
Big Al

Hawaii produces oysters? I didn't know that!

Reply to
Greg Procter

TMTC currently uses this style of signalling throughout it's entire system. PNWR *might* be doing the same between Wilsonville, OR and Beaverton, OR since PNWR's passenger operations are in conjunction with TMTC; it wouldn't entirely surprise me if TMTC engineers end up taking the controls on PNWR's trackage once their joint passenger service starts.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:59:57 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

The best oysters come from the Gulf of Mexico but Hawaii is sort of surrounded by ocean just like you, Greg. Tasman sea oysters are passable but the local bed oysters here are flavorless to me.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Thank you.

It's shorter than a USRA tender. Perhaps you are refering to the tall coal bunker?

If you are, it's that high as that is typical of Canadian practice. The tender's been kitbashed so that the coal space is narrower so the crew can walk past the coal bunker, which has been made higher to off-set the narrower coal space.

The loco now looks much different than in those photos as it's lost the Russian domes and had a few other minor changes made to it.

It now looks like GER No. 163 see: -