Chain link fencing

Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding the construction of chain link fencing and gates (including barbed wire), in HO scale?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Use the same techniques and materials I use for N scale, just up the wire size.

See

Select "Links"from the left menu, then "Tips and tricks" in the main window, then "Scratchbuilding Chain Link Fence".

Reply to
Joe Ellis

or just click on this

:)

Also, I have used filter mesh in the past - it was made from bronze-like material and was easily "skewed" to create the diamond shape required.

Steve downunder

Reply to
mindesign

Which would mean he will miss everything ELSE on the web site. I don't mind people bookmarking a specific page for themselves, but you're only cheating someone else of the opportunity to see what else is on the site if you give them a direct link to the page.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Walthers lists these:

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon

"S> Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding the construction of chain "S> link fencing and gates (including barbed wire), in HO scale?

Visit your local Walmart. Buy:

1 Pack of 'fancy' round toothpicks (housewares). 1 Hat with Mosquito netting (sporting goods).

Then visit your local hobby store (or Michael's) and get a few bottles of Tester's model paint, 'steel' color.

Also you need: scissors and an air brush (or get the Tester's model paint, 'steel' color, in spray cans). White glue and Zap (super glue).

Step one:

Take the hat apart, discarding the hat itself. Layout the Mosquito netting flat on some sort of frame work. Spray paint it with the steel colored paint.

Step two:

Using a scrap piece of insulation foam, stick the toothpicks into it in a medium density pattern. Stick them in pointed end first as little as needed to hold them upright. Spray paint the toothpicks with the steel colored paint.

Once the paint on the Mosquito netting has dried (you might or might not want a second coat), take the netting off your frame and cut into about

1" strips (1" * 87 == 87 inches or about 7 scale feet). You can roll these strips and set aside for now.

Once the paint on the toothpicks has dried (you might or might not want a second coat), pull them carefully from the insulation foam.

You now have a pile of *steel* fence posts (the toothpicks) and several rolls of fencing (the netting). All you need now is a spacing jig to evenly space the posts. This can be make of styrene girders or scale lumber. Lay the spacing jig along your fence line and use a small drill to drill small holes for the posts. Insert a fence post (steel painted toothpick) in each hole with a drop of white glue. Once the posts have been secured, unroll the fencing (netting) along the posts and use a drop of Zap to secure to the posts. Don't forget about corner bracing.

"S> "S> Brian "S> "S> "S>

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

LOL - not at all - your site is not that easy to navigate - obviously I did it and out of courtesy to you BOTH, gave him the option

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Thanks Joe, nice site and easy to navigate. I've bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks again.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Thanks Steve for the link to Joe's page. I bookmarked the site for future use. The tip of yours, is interesting, too.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Thanks Robert.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

There are sites which are easy to navigate as the top page has all of the links into the other pages while other sites don't do that very well. Best is to point to the page of interest and let the viewer go back to the home page (you do have a home page link on all of your pages, don't you?) so that the viewer can easily peruse the rest of your site without problems when they find your writing style and content nice.

Bob May

And what, precisely, is so difficult to navigate about keeping the listings open and putting the opened link in a completely new window or tab?

You want to talk about "difficult to navigate", think about trying to read and follow top-posting... ;)

Reply to
Joe Ellis

The page should have a link back to the home page.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Robert, how do you make the barbed wire?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"M> > Visit your local Walmart. Buy: "M> > ... "M> "M> "M> Robert, how do you make the barbed wire?

Didn't bother with the barbed wire. This was a *cheap* chain link fence.

"M> "M> "M>

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

Barbed wire is like the opposite of power lines, go looking for a real hairy piece of thread instead of very smooth. Depending on how 'barbed' you want just keep looking. But to color it only an airbrush seems to have a light enough touch to provide color yet not loose the 'hairy' feature you are trying to keep. Now this only gives the rather multiple barbed type of wire. For some of the more classic types which only have a barb every foot or so, that I've not had much luck with. My guess would be smooth 'wire' then very small spots of something like ACC teased to have points along the 'wire'.

At least that's the idea. If you have followed some of the threads about power lines and what is visible from an normal distance (which the average aisle is equal to 500 feet to 1/2 mile) exactly what is visible makes most of this detail rather moot.

Reply to
Ken Cameron

If you go to the home page _FIRST_ (as I gave the instructions) you don't NEED a link back - the fence page opens in a new window. Put a link back to the home page on the fence page, and you can end up in an endless loop of windows.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

As I said Joe, I found it very easy to navigate. But then I saw that it opened in a new window {;^)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Home Page is useful for breaking out of deep frame nesting

Reply to
Mark Mathu