DCC Consisting?

I was visiting a friend the other day, and he was trying to set up a consist with DCC. He has an MRC system; I'm not sure what decoders he's
using.
He got three engines in a consist, and when he entered the consist number, they all ran in unison. He could not get any of them to toot the horn or ding the bell. If he entered an individual engine number, he could toot or ding, but not control the speed of the engine(s).
Is that normal for a consist in DCC? Either run the consist without toot ding sounds, or toot ding individual engines, but not control their speed.
Is there a way to toot and ding by entering the consist number rather than a loco number? He has been trying to figure out how do that for some time, and has remained frustrated. Is it even possible?
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu