EL Capitan high level available in N gauge?

Hi

Would appreciate it if someone could point me to the El Capitan high level train in N gauge - that is if it exists. I'm transitioning from HO to N.

thx

Greg

Reply to
Greg G. F.

I don't know of anything that is/was El Capitan specific. The most recent high level cars that I'm aware of are the Kato Superliners. You'll be most likely to get some good answers on the Yahoo group "N-scale Varnish".

Welcome to n-scale! fl@liner

Reply to
fubar

I'm not an El Capitan expert but I seem to recall someone mention that the old Con-Cor Superliners were actually based on the El Capitan hi level cars.

Also Bachmann made full length dome cars but that might be a different beast alltogether.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Amtrak based the design of the Superliners on the El Capitan cars.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a brass import of the entire El Capitan. I know PFM imported Amtrak Superliners in the early

1990s.

If Con-cor didn't make the Superliners with Santa Fe lettering, it wouldn't be that difficult to lift the Amtrak lettering with a specialty stripper and decal them. That would result in a reasonable representation for most people even if it wouldn't pass muster at an AT&SF modelers' convention.

AT&SF's baggage-dorm transition car would have to be kitbashed, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Drawings for the transition car were published in Railroad Model Craftsman in the early to mid-1970s.

FP45s might be difficult to find in plastic. I'm sure there have been a couple of brass runs within the last 10 years.

has some discussion on the prototype and
discusses kitbashing one in N-scale.

Bachmann's cars represent the Auto-Train exAT&SF dome cars. The most prominent difference is the large letterboard. Some careful work with jewler's files can result in a presentable AT&SF full dome car. There are etched brass sides available to accurately turn the Bachmann car into a Great Northern "Great Dome", but they look ok if repainted into Omaha Orange/Green Empire Builder colors.

Again, RMC published drawings and info on the Domes in the mid-1970s.

I haven't seen anyone kitbash that car into BNSF's Glacier View, but there are plenty of photos of the prototype online, for example

Bill

and

kitbashing

Well, FP45 is almost here: