engine light question

Forgive me but I have a question on engine lights. I noticed that some modern era model engines have a yellowish-orange flashing light on the
roof. It looks somewhat like an orange flashing light that you might see on top of a van or truck that's out doing electrical or road maintenance work. I think school busses have them now too, but they are more of a brilliant white color.
So here are my questions:
1. What is this type of light used on these engines called? 2. Are there specific engine operating rules for using this light (i.e. is to be lit at all times or only when the engine is in motion, in yard switching operations, etc). 3. If multiple engines are joined together in a train, should all of the engines in the consist have this light on?
I have never seen this orange light on real engines, but unfortunately, I don't see too many engines in these parts.
Thanks.

Strobe Lights

Not sure but will ask an engineer

Just the front unit
Strobe lights are a used in conjunction with the whistle as an additional warning for level crossings. (At least here in NSW)
The XPT had a 2 way whistle knob, pushed one way & normal whistle operation occured, going the other way set up the Strobe to work for a set period of time even after the whistle had stopped.
I'm not sure if they were called Mars Lights in the U.S, as I have seen video clips of revolving type headlights on steam & Diesels.

Here we use ditch lights on most engines and they are tied into the bell as well.
http://www.trainweb.org/gyra/photo/nhn1758.gif

Mars Gyralite Headlights gyrate in a figure 8 patter and are usually mounted very close to the headlight. http://www.trainweb.org/gyra/photo/sbre100.htm
Big Rich Soprano wrote:

I always thought those looked cool, but haven't seen one in years. Are they still in use anywhere?
}

Not being the expert i can't say. At least i've not seen any in years... they use white strobes on the front of older Amcrash engines and ditch lights on freight so the higher maintenance Gyras are most likely out.