RFI - 100 T Barber S-2 wheelbase

Can someone please give me the correct wheelbase for a 100 T Barber S-2 roller bearing truck? I'm trying to measure some car dimensions from a side-on photograph, and it's the only point of reference I have (the wheels are all in shadow)

TIA

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

I believe a 70T truck is 68" and a 100T is 70"

Reply to
me

You're correct for the 100T - Its plans are on Pg 770 of the 1970 Car and Locomotive Cyclopedia, which list the wheelbase as 5' 10". Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

Thanks guys. I guess my next question is, who makes the best 100T Barber S2 (36" wheels) in N-scale?

To satisfy your curiosity, here's the car I'm trying to model (not the photo I'm working from - can't find the link to that one)

as first purchased:

after conversion to remotely operated ballast car: (note the solar panels)
have larger pics if anyone's interested)

As far as I know, there were only 100 of these cars ever built, all for the AC, numbered 8001-8100, so I don't expect a commercial model any time soon. I haven't been able to find drawings anywhere - I even contacted the builder, National Steel Car, and predictably got no response. Anyone with photos or info on these cars? I especially need interior shots (I can't even find a derailment photo) and details of the drop doors and mechanism.

For anyone attempting this car, CS-Models cylindrical grain hopper is my starting point. You can usually find these second hand, since they're not great models, and have been surpassed by other manufacturers. Lots of cutting involved, but you get the basic shape, which I suspect comes from the fact that it's an NSC car, and perhaps used the same forms.

That's n-scale. I also plan to build one in HO as part of a display of AC equipment, and to have something cool to run on HO layouts I visit. I'll probably use a cylindrical hopper as a starting point here too.

Also a good project for you WC/CN fans. Less work actually, since the ballast doors could probably be stolen from a Hart car. These cars are still around on CN from what I'm told, and are turning up all over the place. Not sure if they've been repainted, but my guess would be no.

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear