Fastrack or Realtrax?

I have 4 year old boys and currently have the basic lionel metal track

0-27 with a basic starter set train. Thinking about switching over to one of the newer track systems. They layout will either be on wooden floor or carpet. I plan to go to a local train store and have only researched on-line - but thinking of either the lionel fastrack or realtrax. The layout will be changed often and picked up often as well

- so easy ability to disconect and reconect pieces is a plus.

Can't tell from my reading here if there is a clear cut winner of fastrack or realtrax.

JCPZero

Reply to
jcpzero

Have your boys try both if they will be doing the layout construction. I think you will find the Fastrack to be cheaper, easier to assemble, and less delicate. The electrical connections are much more robust, and accessory sections are much easier to come by and to set up than the Realtrax. Dealers usually stock all the different sections of Fastrack.

The biggest drawback seems to be the noise.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Went to my local train store - they only carry the lionel fastrack. Also looked at the lionel polar express set for the boys. So its looking like fastrack...

JCPZero

Reply to
jcpzero

An update: I have tested a lionel fastrack oval with my existing train. Very happy with the improvement of connecting the pieces and running on carpet. My young boys really like the more realistic look of the track.

So far so good and I have order more track to expand the layout.

JCPZero

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
jcpzero

On 13 Nov 2005 10:26:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com shared this with the world:

Whichever type you go with, do yourself a favor and don't set it up directly on the carpet. If you do, the gears on your locos will start gathering lint/carpet fibre/dustbunnies at an alarming rate.

Reply to
Kent Ashton

He might want to look at those folding cardboard-ish things like the one my wife uses to layout patterns and fabric on. Come to that, he might just look for a couple large double-wall fiberboard boxes, taping pieces together with duct tape hinges, so it can be folded up when not needed. Perhaps even 1" insulation board foam.

Reply to
Steve Caple

This is minimized with the built-in-ballast/roadbed type systems proposed here.

Our annual Christmas layout directly on the carpet with hours & hours of steady running on O-27 profile track has not even produced one failure or lint/carpet fibre/dustbunny issue in 14 years.

A very thorough vacuuming before set up with the Sharp Twin Power set to "high" helps too.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1