Filling Station

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=

-----------------------

I didn't criticize the outstanding model, I figured it was the first day of the grand opening! Here's one of my n scale gas stations. Plenty of things to criticize here. ...

History of N Scale:
's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

What does that have to do with anything? You're saying one can't criticize anything unless they have done it themselves. So if I don't like my Ford, does that mean I can't be critical of it unless I've built my own car? Does that mean I can't be critical of my congressman unless I've been elected one? This seems to be a common refrain on the 'net. The instant you are critical of anything, you have some folks saying, "Oh, yeah? We'll let's see your work, pal!" It doesn't change the fact that something may have been incorrectly done on the original model, but it does do a rather nice job of redirecting the criticism (which is probably why they do it).

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

On 6/6/2008 12:17 AM Mark Mathu spake thus:

Not only do I not have a filling station, I don't even have a layout. So sue me.

Missed those before; nice touch.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote

If by "engine crew" you mean the engineer and fireman, they would probably have done the job way back when locos were still semi-permanently assigned to specific crews and cosmetic upkeep was one of their responsibilities; but that situation generally ended well before the turn of (the last) century.

Ever since then the railroads have generally employed specialized crews to clean engines, and in steam days they were known as either "engine wipers" or just plain "wipers".

On page 84 of his book "Beaumont Hill", John Signor shows a picture of the Southern Pacific's Colton roundhouse crew in 1944, prominently featuring five Mexican women who'd been hired as wipers to replace the men who were off to war.

According to my dear old dad, the remaining men on the roundhouse crew were suitably scandalized....

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Er, uh, in the right hand photo in the middle row? I see the greenish-blue lampshades (with rather large lamps for O scale), the hoist, and what looks like a compressor and some belt wheels on top of the air tank (?) in hte back - but can't find any fans. Where should I look?

Reply to
Steve Caple

"Steve Caple" wrote

Nope, no fans, but I *do* like the pinup girl's pic hanging on the back wall of the shop.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

I'm just slowly putting the tables together. I lost my house the beginning of '03, in the Bush Depression, and never put it up in FL. I'm in an apt now, but after getting the bug and building a Penn Line Pennsy E-6 Atlantic, I've started working on it. I also need to work on the overtable protection against the All-Destroying Monsters (our Lords and Masters, the cats, of course).

mark

Reply to
mark

"mark" wrote

I used to have that problem.

Then we adopted a couple of abandoned Rottweiler puppies.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

In the era I model petrol was sold by chemists shops.

Reply to
Greg Procter

P. Roehling wrote: "mark" wrote

Sorry, but *real* ferals could take care of them.

But right now, my real problem is the size of the room (small), and what I want to do (far too much). I'm trying to figure out how to get the over-curve above the lower section, and I don't have enough room for a full helix, and....

mark

Reply to
mark

"mark" wrote

Forgive me for doubting that, but those same dogs chased a half-grown mountain lion out of our yard a year ago this spring, and I can't picture anything smaller than that standing firm in the face of a concerted charge...

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Well , I guess I'll get my .02 cents in as well. It looks like a plastic model to me. IMO , some of the models that come ready built look as good as this one. Of course , as someone else mentioned , maybe the person who bought it wanted it this way.

kd

Reply to
Ken Day