FS: ME Rail, wood ties, Kadee Spiker

Hi,

I've recently decided to changeover from hand laying to flex track for my HO railroad. So, I have a fair amount of track laying supplies that I'd like to sell. I expect I will put it up on eBay but I've never sold anything before there and thought it might be worth a try to mention here.

What I have:

Micro Engineering Rail (bundles are 33 pieces, 3' each): 3 bundles of unweathered code 83 rail 10 bundles of weathered code 70 rail 4 bundles of code unweathered code 70 rail

Campbell Ties: 23 bags of low profile track ties 6 bags of low profile turnout ties

Micro Engineering Ties 4 bags of low profile ties

Kadee Spiker code 70, 83, and 100 adapters spikes (I have some homework to do here...I haven't used the spiker in a while - I have been using epoxy because I now use a hard roadbed like plywood or particle board that the spiker won't penetrate. I'll root around and find out how many spikes I have)

I also have 20 or so "tie strips" (wooden ties properly spaced on 2' masking tape strips that are ready to lay) that I'll throw in assuming I can figure out how to ship them without ruining them.

Not sure what this should be worth these days. If/when I list on eBay, I'm guessing I'll try a minimum of 50% of list or so.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to send me an email. I can take some pictures if that helps.

Regards,

Vince Guarna snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Vince Guarna

Personallly, I'd keep the rail and the turnout stuff as handlaid turnouts are a lot better looking than any of the commercially available turnouts and will run better than any of them will.

Bob May

I agree. If they're well made, hand laid turnouts ("switches") will outlast any current commercial turnout I've seen. We used a mix of hand laid and Sinohara turnouts on our modular club layout. Now, after 25 years of fairly hard use, the Sinohara's are starting to fail (I can't say they owe us much!). The switch points and hinges are just falling apart. The pivot rivets are worn out, the soldered parts are coming unstuck, and the metal is breaking from fatigue. They're reparable, but getting to be such a PITA that we're replacing them (see below).

The hand laid ones, on the other hand, are going strong, and require a lot less 'fiddling'. About the only maintenance they require is to fill (with solder) and recut the flangeways in the frogs perhaps every 5 or 6 years (takes about a half hour per switch). Even THAT damage is not due to normal wear, but to over zealous cleaning with sharp objects (knives, screwdrivers, etc.).

The old Sinoharas are having the point area replaced completely, salvaging the existing frogs. While we're at it, we're making them "DCC friendly" (a misnomer) ... that is, making the points and adjoining wing rails electrically connected at all times. The old hand laid switches were always that way. It makes a BETTER switch, and has nothing to do with DCC. The idea was around LONG before DCC was ever thought of.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

"Bob May" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-1.nethere.net:

Yea, it occurred to me also that I might want to keep it. I love the hingeless points and I made a #12 crossover...looks with with 89' passenger cars. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I ended up not being able to sell anything.

Reply to
Vince Guarna