Height between layout levels

I'm planning a new layout and it will have a hidden yard and loop accessed by a helix. Trains will be made up on the upper visible level and held in the yard-loop until needed so I don't need to handle the trains unless there is a problem. I would like some thoughts on the separation needed between the levels. I need at least 6 inches to accommodate switch machines, etc. but this seems to small to accommodate a hand trying to get at a derailed car. I realize that this is rather a personal thing like layout height but some practical advise would be appreciated. Once I get this level built I can experiment with a temporary upper level and find a height I like.

Thanks.

Richard Foster

Reply to
Richard Foster

I'm glad you posted this. I'm planning a new layout (HO scale) as well, and have been considering making it a double-decker too. Right now, I'm thinking of having about 18" between the levels with the upper level at bout my eye level (I'm six feet tall). My biggest concern is in how to get the trains between levels, and I'm leaning towards a helix right now, but they take up oodles of space.

-- Michael Perry

Reply to
jazzman6

Reply to