help me save my Lionel 675

So I went at lunch to pick up the train, and the guy who gave me back my engine and tender (not the repairman who looked at the cars for the estimate) told me "yeah, these old trains are getting harder to repair and getting harder to find parts for". The guy looked maybe 20.. I wanted to say to him, have you heard of the internet? I know the parts are out there for this train, and from talking to many of you, I know that this train is repairable and not too painfully by someone who works with them regularly. It feels to me like the repair guy simply looked at it and said "this is gonna take me more than 15 min to get up and running- I'll bail on it now."

So to get me through the Holidays, I purchased the Lionel C&O Dockside Switcher. It has whistle and steam functions, and I think my daughter will love it.

VG

Reply to
vintagegamer

It's been quite a while since I've held an engine of that era in my hands and played with it, so I can't tell you for sure, but it sounds right. If your engine has one of the old e-units, you will hear and feel it kind of "clunk" into position when you put it into a direction lock. Put it on the track with power and check that way. If it always runs in the same direction, even after you push the direction button (or dump the power level quickly to zero and back again if you don't have one), you're in direction lock mode. In my limited experience a lot of broken e-units will still send power to the motor when in that mode, but a lot depends on *how* it's broken. *

Reply to
PV