Hesitating Loco

I have an AB consist of Proto 2000 FA1 and FB1with Digitrax DH 163 decoders in each. If they haven't been run for a couple of days, or even hours, when I start them, the B unit runs a few seconds and then stops as if it has lost power while the A unit continues to run. If I turn off power and start up again the same things happens and that pattern repeats 3 or 4 times. After

3 or 4 times though, the problem disappears and both the A and B units run as they should. The pair pulls a nine unit passenger car consist.

Has anyone else had similar expierences and can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks/Carter Braxton

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Sounds like an intermittent loss of power caused by dirt, which also happens on straight DC locos occasionally. Check the power path from wheels to decoder to motor, making sure that all contact points are clean and free of debris and dust. If that doesn't fix it, it's electronic, on which I cannot advise you, but I suspect that you may have to replace the decoder.

Good luck.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Sounds like the decoder on the B unit is losing it's mind and it needs to be reset a few times to get it to go right. Thermal problems are probably the basic cause of this. I'd try another decoder and see if that cures the problem.

Bob May

I have had this trouble from time to time. Every time it been poor current collection. Try swapping the the two decoders from A unit to B unit and see if the problem follows the decoder.

Nigel

Western Pacific Model Railways

Nigel Nichols