Decoder installation help

I have a Genesis FA3 (#G2007) and I want to install a Digitrax decoder in it but since my installation skills are limited to "plug it in here", I need some help. Can someone give me step-by-step instructions on an installation please... the simpler the better.

I don't know if the motor is insulated or not so I guess that would be the first issue. This model has dual headlights with a small white and a small red light in the upper housing and a single white light in the lower housing. I have both DH 123 and DH 163 decoders available.

Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks/Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

installation

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Fixing a typo below: in article BC286EE0.2F31C% snipped-for-privacy@unearthlylink.net, Edward A. Oates at snipped-for-privacy@unearthlylink.net wrote on 1/12/04 3:33 PM:

Fix above.... (soldering)

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Thanks guys. I didn't know about the DH163A0... thought I was going to have to hard wire something.

Thanks for the help

Carter

installation

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Even with the DH163A0 you will be soldering. Unless Digitrax has made the end connectors skinnier, the Athearn hold-on caps don't fit: too tight.

And if you want to use any functions other than F0F and F0R, you will be soldering connections to F1-F4 in the middle of the board. I'm not sure that the regular DH163 might not actually be easier if it is not too high. Slipping a shrink wrap tube over two wires and twisting them together followed by soldering is pretty easy. The only issue is where to stuff the excess wire and how to keep the decoder from resting on the motor or flywheels. A styrene cradle works.

Ed.

in article KqLMb.46$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com, Carter Braxton at snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote on 1/12/04 9:33 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates