I'm Done With Lionel

Jim wrote:

Respect man, Respect!! I'm not a fan of current day entry level Lionel, but I do understand the effect this company has had on our hobby. Many of us would never have been exposed to model trains were it not for the Lionel 2-6-2 running around the Christmas tree dragging under-scaled cars behind its tender. I model in HO, but I will always be grateful to Lionel and other pioneering firms who brought us this hobby as we know it today.. My two cents..................... Howard Zane

Good boy!

Who collects 'em? I RUN 'em.
Carl
--
Carl Heinz
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:40:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Lionel is alive an well!
Appeals courts basically threw out the MTH suit based on they found MTH's "expert", totally unqualified and estimated damages to be, if applicable at all, a fraction of the original court award. Read the following found elsewhere yesterday:

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Of course, you know that that verdict was thrown out, right?
http://news.google.com/news?q=mth%20lionel
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

AND:
http://ogaugerr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/57660482/m/7921091724
Rob
OOPS!! Sorry, I guess my info was about 3 mos. old. Those were the plans in late summer or early fall. The way I understood it, There was some uhh.."Hanky-Panky" from Lionel going on w/ patent infringements and MTH thought they could parley it up. Sorry for the mis-info.
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:31:06 -0500, trainfan1

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:40:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Which patent suit is that? As reported in Lionel's newsletter, on 12/14/06 the US Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals handed down a decision overturning MTH's victory in a lower court. Has there been some decision since then? The whole issue really seemed like an attempt on the part of MTH to litigate Lionel into a buyout. Corporate snakes.
Lionel has experienced record sales for the past two years. It sounds like people are speaking with their wallets. I don't know the current fiscal health of the company, even given the record sales, but Lionel has something going for it that MTH doesn't - the name and the history. A train enthusiast may recognize MTH, but much of the general public seems to have "Lionel" encoded into their DNA. E.g. a lot of older people who received Lionel trains for Christmas when they were children aren't even going to look at anything else when buying a train for their own kids.
Quality? A lot of people seem satisfied with the quality of Lionel and will buy nothing else. I only own the Polar Express set at the moment which, I gather, is part of Lionel's lower end. The quality of the train seems every bit as good as the Lionel train I remember from childhood.

In my experience, the higher end Lionel is even better. TMCC is what lured me into switching from N back to O (in addition to aging eyesight and a bit of a tremor). I was enthralled by the sounds you could get in addition to enhanced control capabilities. Now if Lionel would rework all of their accessories so that their devotion to electromagnets would be replaced with boards which produce a less toylike functionality, it would be even better. Such things as the new crossing guards are a step in the right direction.