July 2010 Model Railroader

Wow - it's under 100 pages. I can't recall any MR being that short for quite a while [although I have not looked at back issues for
specifics]. I hope that's not a sign that the hobby's advertising revenue is drying up. __________ Mark Mathu Whitefish Bay, Wis. The Green Bay Route: http://www.greenbayroute.com /

Maybe they ran out of articles to recycle

I think it's more a sign of the magazine drying up. When I read the old versions of the magazine, there's always something there to fire the imagination or maybe a different way of looking at things that still holds true today.
When was the last time MR's feature article was anything other than "how to build /something/?" (I let my subscription lapse several months ago, so I'm not quite sure myself.)
Puckdropper

On 29 May 2010 19:46:39 GMT, Puckdropper

I agree.

I remember hearing the same argument some years ago, only it was about how there was nothing but articles about prototype stuff, no construction/how to's content!

The seabat
Filtering GoogleGroups & Goobers with extreme prejudice!
Mark Mathu wrote:

There is always at least one mid-year issue that is thin, is there not? Even September 2009 was only 100 pages excluding covers. I had always assumed that it was because summer is the time of year when Americans are least active in the hobby - is that so ????????

That is the common wisdom. Problem is, the common wisdom dates to the 1930s. And just Model Railroader. Railroad Model Craftsman does not seem to care, other than doing a bit larger issue toward the end of the year.
Had issue 192 of Model Railway Journal in the mail today. What an astonishingly better publication than most of what we see here (US)! Now if I could just get past the $110 or so subscription cost ...
This is just the world media and the hobby evolving. Not to worry, the hobby will continue on. Just not like we would like it to. I am presently scanning all my train magazines into my PC and recycle the paper. Change is inevitable, struggle is an option.

You could recycle the magazines for cash on eBay. As usual, people are paying a lot more than cover price.