[HO] Athearn discontinues "blue box" kits

I hear that Athearn has announced they are discontinuing production of their "blue box" kits.

Mark Mathu wrote:

Yes; I've seen the announcement on some other lists which I'm on. The end of an era. Though I graduated beyond them decades ago, I'm still disheartened to see them go away. They were good for people on tight budgets.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

True. But swap meets and Accurail still remain.
http://www.accurail.com/accurail /
I found two Athearn and two Accurail kits at our swapmeet just yesterday for $5.00 each.
~Pete

Accurail is perhaps one of the underlying reasons why they are getting out of the kit business. Most of their kits are in the $13-$15 price range, and pretty good models for that price point.
Let's hope the same market factors which lead to Athearn's decision won't lead to Accurail getting out of the kit business. It could happen.
____ Mark Mathu Whitefish Bay, Wis. The Green Bay Route: http://www.greenbayroute.com /
Mark Mathu wrote:

they advised their public mailing list directly.

a_a_a - can you be more specific in your reply: Was that "public mailing list' in a postal mail list, or their e-mail list? I heard about it through my train club.
I am subscribed to the Athearn e-mail list (for several years) but didn't receive anything since their "Athearn News - Athearn announces the Veranda Turbine" on 9/23 until yesterday I got their "Athearn News - 10/21/2009" .... and neither mentioned the end of the Blue Box kits. i am not on a postal mail list.
... just wondering if an email filter is blocking some email from Athearn I'd like to be receiving.
Mark Mathu wrote:

the email list that announces new products every few weeks; the blue box message was specific to that topic.

there have certainly been messages in that period.