Latest Horizon/Athearn ploy...BOYCOTT!!!!

I for one will now boycott any and all Athearn prodcuts that Horzon attempts to sell if they do't open their doors to other distributers. I would certainly hope others will join in the effort. I can only imagine what will now happen to the SD70MAC prices since Athearn has never quoted a price. Looks like the KATO units will have to do for me. This is a time for ATLAS, P2K, Intermountain, and KATO to step up and blow them out of the water. After I get my 4 undec. SD50's, IF I GET THEM NOW, I'm done with any and all Athearn products.

John Binford

Subj: NOTICE OF ATHEARN CHALLENGER Date: 1/12/04 9:40:17 PM Eastern Standard Time From: ECMR1 To: ECMR1

Dear Friends,

Well.... here we go. I have been formally informed by my wholesalers that the new owners of Athearn are not honoring the orders placed last Autumn for the Athearn Challenger Locomotive. All reservations are required to be reordered a second time through the new owners at the higher wholesale cost price.

So far, this only applies to the Challenger. All other preorders are safe and if it changes, I will notify you at once. There are rumors that the SD70 will meet the same fate, but I have no information on that yet, but I think the fact that Athearn never offered us a price is most telling. Now we know why.

While I could very easily get around the unreasonable terms of this new company, I am declining to do so. I have already explained my reasons. Since virtually every response I have received from my customers has been in favor of a boycott of Athearn products, and since I intend to stand by my convictions, I will not be offering the Challenger or any products announced by the new owners.

It is in no way my intention to send you elsewhere to purchase Athearn. My intention is to assist the other dealers in keeping the product in the Athearn warehouse. This is the only way these people will understand and reopen the market the way it should be and bring the prices down to a reasonable level. To buy now, will only encourage them to keep up their unacceptable business practices.

Regardless, there is no way I can match the price I advertised them at due to the increased wholesale cost. Honestly, I cannot afford this kind of loss. They will be no guaranteed delivery either. I know how this game is played and I therefore know why they will not do so. I do not care to engage in such a scenerio.

This is a very unfair and sorry situation for us all. There has been a long standing tradition violated here and as I stated, it should not be allowed to proceed any further.

I suspect after the new owners become aware of the massive negative backlash that exists all over the internet, we can expect some kind of gimmic or "come-on" from them in the form of introductory special price offers. This will be short lived at best and a mere distraction from the present furor. I have received letter's from Horizon that I have found to be insulting and untruthful. Their claim is Athearn will conduct "business as usual". This is so far from the truth, you wouldn't find it on the planet Pluto.

This is not good enough for me. They need to restore Athearn to what it was..one of the standard staples of the hobby and supply the other wholesalers which will promote competitve pricing.

Should a few major wholesalers go under because of this, the survivors will take full advantage and raise prices as the competition demises. WE NEED TO AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS.

Well, I think I have stated my case and all I ask is that you continue to feel free to order the other products and stand with me on this issue. I will be working extra hard to bring you better deals on other quality products.

I have exhausted this topic..you know where I stand and I hope you will stand with me in turning this in our favor. If the inventory remains in THEIR warehouse for only one month.. I think they should get the message, but who knows, there are none more blind than those who do not want to see.

Should anything else important develop pertaining to your current orders I will notify you.

Best Regards, Al

Reply to
wearing fire retardent suit

Athearn who? They make trains? Never heard of them. Must be junk.

Reply to
MrRathburne

Well, unfortunetly just when Athearn puts out a good engine, the SD50, they go an do something like this. As I said, after I get my 4 undec. SD50's...if I get them....I'm done with them until Horizon changes its ways.

Me thinks the 5161 hopper broke the bank...

john binford