Lionel CW Whistle Controler

Hi; My son broke his new train set from X-Mas. He put some thing in the whistle hole on the bottom of the Tender. Then tried to sound the whistle and over heated the transistor on the little control board. I have ordered a new board (due in 2-3 weeks) but in the meantime would still like to replace the transistor on the old one and get it working again. The numbers on the old transistor are gone so I need a schematic of the little board part number 610-86330-01 or a number off someone else's transistor to cross and get a replacement. Any Help will be appreciated Andy

Reply to
Andrew Gregory

thing in the

the whistle

have ordered

like to

The numbers

little board

transistor to cross

It's not a basic transistor you can get at Radio Shack.

It's actually a High Power KSP-13 NPN Epitaxial Darlington Transistor Pair in a TO-92 case. For practical purposes the specs are the same, so an MSP-13 could be substituted.

They are *NOT* available from Radio Shack, and the Darlingtons Radio Shack does sell do not have the same power handling capabilities of the KSP-13. Using one of them would just result in turning the new transistor into a 'crispy critter' real quick.

You have to order KSP-13's from someplace like Digi-Key or ChipCatalog, and almost all of those places only sell bulk packs.

For the cost and time involved in laying hands on a replacement KSP-13, I'd suggest just waiting on the replacement board.

Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len

Hosfelt Electronics, 800-264-6464 sells a MPSA-13 Power Darlington, NPN in a TO-92 case for 15 cents.

Ray H.

Reply to
Whodunnit

specs

Darlington, NPN in

What's the Shipping & Handling charge and estimated delivery time?

Len

Reply to
Len

Call them!