magazine recomendation for 6 yr old

Hi. First of all, I hope I am not bothering anyone. I've been lurking here for a while to see if this topic would come up without me and I have not seen it. So I am bringing it up myself. Please forgive me if I am overstepping in some way, or if I have found the wrong newsgroup.

Anyway, that said, I am hoping for a recommendation for a train magazine to subscribe to as a birthday present when my train-loving son turns 6 in the fall. What he would want in a train magazine would be pictures. Lots and lots of colorful pictures. He loves big diesel engines: CSX, Santa Fe, Chessie, etc. Modern stuff. He also loves Monon trains and freight cars. He isn't very interested in steam trains. He will be in kindergarten and will be learning to read through the year of the subscription, so the quality of the articles will not be of high concern to us.

We have picked up magazines like TRAIN and RAILFAN at the supermarket and I've seen that they both seem to carry lots of big, beautiful pictures. But I haven't been able to do a good comparison of who tends to have the most photos for the money. I was hoping that some of you folks would have opinions and experience you would be willing to share with me.

Many thanks!

-- Vicki. Married DH May, 1995. Ima shel Stubborn, born 11/99; Chatty, born 5/02, and Snuggly, born 9/8/04. Pregnant, breastfeeding or both since February 1999.

Reply to
vyxter

You've picked up the right magazines. A subscription to either (or both) will be a good start.

Bob May

The photos are good, but most captions are beyond a six-year-old. Still, I can't think of any other magazines that fits Vicki's request.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Mark. Five kids in six years. Continually changing diapers since December

1998. Struggling to finish a Branchline kit since 2004.
Reply to
Mark Mathu

You're BOTH nuts!

Reply to
1shado1

These replies are amusing and helpful. Thank you, all. Since I seem to have already found the likely candidates, I guess I'll just get around to seeing which magazine come our more often or something like that, or who will take my subscription online and make this easy for me.

On a related note, I wonder if most adult railfans were railfans as children, or if many of you here came to your hobby as adults? Just curious. :-)

Vicki. Married DH May, 1995. Ima shel Stubborn, born 11/99; Chatty, born 5/02, and Snuggly, born 9/8/04. Pregnant, breastfeeding or both since February 1999.

Reply to
vyxter
*** I guess I'll just get around to seeing which magazine come our more often or something like that, or who will take my subscription online and make this easy for me. On a related note, I wonder if most adult railfans were railfans as children, or if many of you here came to your hobby as adults? Just curious. :-)

I've been a railfan since I was a toddler and I'm almost 71 now. My father liked traina and we lived close to a PRR freight line with GG1s galore. I had a mechanical train when I was about four and a Lionel electric when I was six.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

Bill

thank you, bill. actually, right now Railfan & Railroad Magazine is a bit cheaper at their website. they say: Special 30th Anniversary Subscription Rates

12 issues for $29.95! (whereas amazon has it for $34.95 for 12 issues).

it is considerably cheaper than TRAINS, which is 12 Issues for $42.95 at their website.

is that "Special 30th Anniversary Subscription Rate" likely to be unavailable soon? perhaps i should subscribe sooner than i planned ...

Vicki. Married DH May, 1995. Ima shel Stubborn, born 11/99; Chatty, born 5/02, and Snuggly, born 9/8/04. Pregnant, breastfeeding or both since February 1999

Reply to
vyxter

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: [...]

I can't recall a time when I did not like trains.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Not at all! That's what we're here for, as you can tell from the replies you've already received.

Whoa!!! You might want to get your *husband* interested in a different hobby...

Just Kidding, Steve

Reply to
Stevert

Ah, Mark, they won't be 6 years old for very long! While the words may be beyond them today, next year they probalby won't be and they will probably get there sooner (and go farther) because of their desire to read the words and understand them. In addition, there really isn't anything better on the market for the kid anyway unless you consider Thomas the Train stuff and that is severely limited in usefulness at that age.

Bob May

you gentlemen are funny as well as helpful. you do all seem to be gentlemen though. is this a male-dominated hobby? i guess i wouldn't be surprised if it is, but by how much, i wonder? i wouldn't say i qualify as a railfan, but i do think trains are mighty cool. i am surely part of (most of?) the reason behind my son's love of trains. i was the one pointing them out and driving him to see them all the time. :)

as for my spouse, luckily for us both we are very compatible. smile.

anyway, on a more related note, from the skimming i've done of my son's magazines and from what i've seen here, railfanning starts in childhood. it makes me wonder if my little boy will be a lifelong railfan. i assume there are conventions to attend for those who enjoy this? there would be toy conventions, to see modeling stuff, and on the web i've seen video footage from groups that get together and videotape trains going by. are there other things railfans do in large groups?

thanks again!

- Vicki. Married DH May, 1995. Ima shel Stubborn, born 11/99; etc, etc, you know the rest :)

Reply to
vyxter

Yep, this is a pretty male dominated hobby. Wives tend to be the scenery finishers if they get into it at all. I have met several women tho that are in the hobby and my most memorable one was once when I was at Knott's Berry Farm (a Disenyland type operation and not too far from Disenyland) where they have some of the old D&RGW equipemnt that they run around the park carrying attendees - with the mandantory train robbery and all. She was in one of the many shops and there was one of the old movie viewers that you looked into after putting a coin in. The movie was of some UP trains doing runbys and while she was looking in the viewer, she exclaimed "Oh, look at those big black beaurtiful things!". Needless to say, the shop became quite quiet for a moment!

Bob May

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Some of both. I got a basic Lionel set at 6, but just dabbled at it then, even though I loved it. (No support from a Dad who wasn't interested in anything that didn't involve catching fish or killing woodland creatures.) But the basic love of railroading was there, instilled by a grandfather who worked for L&N for over 50 years.

18 years ago, I built a small layout for my own boys (now 30 & 24), but neither one of them caught the fever. Now that I have time, space and just enough room in the budget, I'm getting back into the hobby at nearly 60. I just hope I can infect the grandkids with the RR bug.
Reply to
Norman Morgan

Stevert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ifyoucan.net:

Hmmm...that's getting close to the remark that got Groucho Marx thrown off of TV back in the '50s!

Reply to
Norman Morgan

Well, I'm not on TV, it's not the 50's, and the OP seems to have taken it in the humorous vein it was offered, so hopefully I'm okay. However, I will add the emoticon that I so obviously missed the first time around. :-) :-) :-)

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

Stevert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ifyoucan.net:

My remark was not a criticism, just a reminisence of a hilarious ad-lib that no one would think twice about now, but that got a big star suspended back in a somewhat more straight-laced time. Sorry if you misunderstood my intent.

Reply to
Norman Morgan