Manual turnout controls... I love them !

He's baaaack!

(For those new to this list, Bruce used to post this response to each and every posting about turnout controls)

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I'll have to visit a bike shop - I have left-overs in my bike parts box (and lots of good Swiss stainless steel spokes, too, but I think the more malleable coat hanger wire is a much better candidate to work with), but can't remember the cost for ordinary ones. Most of the ones I found on a quick internet search were very highly priced specialty cables (often more flash than substance: slick plastic sheaths and teflon coated cables are very common these days), but I did see a Shimano derailleur cable (generally longer than brake cables, and the lighter duty is not a problem moving turnouts) for under $3.

Here's a good link to info on bike cables, including finishing off sheathing cuts:

However, the braided cable nature DOES make them useless in push situations, and the Gold-N-Rod looks better in that regard. But the clevis prices seem out of line for general use. I think "special situations" may be the niche for this stuff. Coat hangers to the fore!

Reply to
Steve Caple

After searching the house for other wire coat hangars (my hates them, and throws them away) I found a few more. Much to my suprise these had thicker wire, and they are much stiffer.

So make sure you look for the thicker ones.

Reply to
Kelly

A thought I had already entertained - especially after looking at the flattened end in the pic in that Dec 2003 MR: figured the thicker ones would beat out into larger end tabs.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Yes, Larry - I think motorized turnout controls should be considered!

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Stull