Marx 4200

I hope this is the correct list to ask maintenance questions about electric trains. I have been on the list for a few days.
I am trying to get my loco running. It is from a Marx 4200 set. The engine is a #400. The track and circuit are okay because my other engines run fine. I cleaned and oiled the engine and it started to run. It would only run backwards. It ran good in that direction. Later, it tried to run forward, twice. Made it two times around a small circle test track. Then it wouldn't run at all. The light still burns when advancing the transformer. Today, when removing the loco from the track, I squeezed the sides of the engine (the body is removed), and the loco tried to run, as if there is a short in the wiring. I attempted to find the short. Pressure on the sides made it run once more and now side pressure doesn't make it run again. I tried to find diagrams surfing the net. I don't where the E-unit is. Supposely it could be stuck. The shorting appeared to be in a wire that goes to a spring loaded clip which rest above a felt pad on one side of the engine between the wheels. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tom
It sounds more like the wire in broken inside the insulation.
Tom Cummings wrote:

Tom Cummings wrote:

Sounds like worn motor brushes and/or springs. When you squeeze, you are putting the brushes closer to the commutator.
Rob
You might find the answer at the Marx E-Mail Group:
A good book, "Toy Train Repair Made Easy":
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Good luck with your dilemma.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire