MICROLUX® MINIATURE TABLE SAW

On 10/24/2008 4:15 PM Puckdropper spake thus:

Is this it?

Actually only $27.99.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Proxxon makes the tilt arbor saw and the expensive ($180. or so) chop saw that Micromark sells.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Furze

Puck, why would you want to ' strip ' styreene when there is the Evergreen range of strip styreene they have most every size you would ever likely use in kit bashing / mingling. I have the Dremel table saw [ out of production for 16 odd years ] that I've cut up cast plastic kits like City Classics kits [ Smallman Street Warehouse ] and you " HAVE TO USE ' a Carbide Tiped blade for this type of work. Mico Mark has carbide tiped blades for the Dremel and the microlux saws. Malcolm New Zealand.

93211

Reply to
Malcolm Donaldson

On the really thin sheets it tends to break first, cut second with the carbide blade - you'd be better off scoring with a knife blade and breaking. On sheets the thickness of building sides (such as Design Preservations), it's not the smoothest going through - you'd probably have to do some filing and sanding afterwards.

HTH

Matt

Reply to
Matt Furze

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:49025bd5$0$28663$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Yes that's it.

When you add in a 8% sales tax, and you get $30.23.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Malcolm Donaldson" wrote in news:gdu2s1$f7h$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz:

I'm not planning on turning styrene sheets into ribbons, but out of a

5x12 sheet of styrene sometimes I need a 3x4 piece. A saw would make a faster and more accurate cut than the score and snap method does for me.

If I were doing only styrene work, I'd look into something like "The Chopper" but I want to do both styrene and basswood work.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Matt Furze" wrote in news:ngwMk.24372$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe01.iad:

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know about some of the limitations of the tool, especially when they impact some of my future plans for it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Actually only $27.99.<

Yes!

Reply to
Jon Miller

I get my styrene in large sheets (about .75mx1.5m) in the thickness that I'm interested in. Cost is about what a package of the Evergreen stuff it but I get to make dozens of Evergreen packages out of it as well as in the sizes that I need at the moment!

-- Bob May

Bob May

Micro Mark's table saw is Proxxon-made. Same saw (and lots of accessories for it) is also sold at

.

I have the saw but I haven't put it through its paces yet. It seems like it will be able to cut precisely.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

For what it's worth... I was told that molded plastic has a lot of internal stresses much like glass. It doesn't scribe & snap as easily as extruded plastic does. I think that kit walls are molded; stock like Evergreen is extruded. But, as usual, I could be mistaken... not wrong, just mistaken! : )

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

On 10/27/2008 11:05 AM Dan Merkel spake thus:

The statement I made applies to plain sheet styrene stock. For molded pieces like kit walls, scoring and snapping doesn't work, or doesn't work well, and a good saw would probably be the right tool to use on them.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

If you're looking to cut scale lumber accurately here's a saw you may be interested in. Hands down the BEST miniature table saw I've seen. It is pricey but very high quality.

kd

Reply to
Ken

And the winner is... ?

fl@liner

Reply to
fubar

I have a Proxxon which meets my needs, but does not do well with styrene. If I had the money and planned to use it more, I would buy one of these:

LD

OOps.....forgot to include the link.

Ken