MICROLUX MINIATURE TABLE SAW

Yes that's it.
When you add in a 8% sales tax, and you get $30.23.
Puckdropper

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberB307
Actually only $27.99.<
Yes!

I have a small Dremel table saw that is "OK," but I've found that it isn't good enough for much precision work. I bought it when I was into kitbashing in a big way thinking that I could cut plastic building pieces, etc. I've never had that kind of luck. The blade seemed to melt the plastic instead of cutting it, leaving a lot of hard extra material along the edges of the cuts. Neither the fence nor the T guide are precise enough to get nice square (or other angled) cuts. And it seemed as though the Dremel blades never held their edge. I'd be replacing them about every month or so... from just cutting small stuff around the work bench. It certainly wasn't precise enough to cut something much thinner than say strips about 1/8the inch wide. I probably got my $55 out of it over the years but I wuldn't buy a replacement today if it quit working... unless I could see one work firsthand BEFORE I bought it.
Just my two pennies worht...
dlm
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action talog&Type=Product&ID463
Quite a bit more expensive than the MicroLux, but I've had this saw for 15 years, and just used it again today - it's been a real workhorse over the years for all sorts of things, and ranks right up at the top of tools I've purchased for hobby use over the years... (watch word wrap on the link). Excellent saw!
YMMV
Matt

On 10/23/2008 4:45 PM Matt Furze spake thus:

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action talog&Type=Product&ID463
Well, it *is* a MicroLux, but clearly a step up from the non-tilt-arbor version. Plus this one looks to have a decent rip fence, instead of the dinky little truncated one on the cheaper version. A bit pricey, but probably worth it if you need it.

Have you tried cutting much styrene with it?
Puckdropper

On the really thin sheets it tends to break first, cut second with the carbide blade - you'd be better off scoring with a knife blade and breaking. On sheets the thickness of building sides (such as Design Preservations), it's not the smoothest going through - you'd probably have to do some filing and sanding afterwards.
HTH
Matt

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know about some of the limitations of the tool, especially when they impact some of my future plans for it.
Puckdropper

If my experiences with 10" saws hold true, the belt drive will be quieter and smoother, too.
*snip*

A router speed control would probably cost around $70? An upgraded fence for the Microlux costs $60 (the one included doesn't extend past the blade, so it's probably useless), so that's $130 to add to the price of the saw. I'm debating whether it's worth jumping in to this with both feet and trying the tilt table saw that costs $350.
If only replacement blades didn't cost so much...
Puckdropper

Puck, why would you want to ' strip ' styreene when there is the Evergreen range of strip styreene they have most every size you would ever likely use in kit bashing / mingling. I have the Dremel table saw [ out of production for 16 odd years ] that I've cut up cast plastic kits like City Classics kits [ Smallman Street Warehouse ] and you " HAVE TO USE ' a Carbide Tiped blade for this type of work. Mico Mark has carbide tiped blades for the Dremel and the microlux saws. Malcolm New Zealand.

consider?
if
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber> 93211

I'm not planning on turning styrene sheets into ribbons, but out of a 5x12 sheet of styrene sometimes I need a 3x4 piece. A saw would make a faster and more accurate cut than the score and snap method does for me.
If I were doing only styrene work, I'd look into something like "The Chopper" but I want to do both styrene and basswood work.
Puckdropper

I get my styrene in large sheets (about .75mx1.5m) in the thickness that I'm interested in. Cost is about what a package of the Evergreen stuff it but I get to make dozens of Evergreen packages out of it as well as in the sizes that I need at the moment!
-- Bob May

On 23 Oct 2008 05:15:44 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>Does anyone have this saw?

If you're looking to cut scale lumber accurately here's a saw you may be interested in. Hands down the BEST miniature table saw I've seen. It is pricey but very high quality.
kd
Ken wrote:

And the winner is... ?
fl@liner