Miniatronics Electrak Clean II

I just bought one of these and have a question / concern:

I ran it around my DCC (Digitrax) layout pushed by a decoder equipped engine and noticed several things:

  1. Every once in a while, my PM42 circuit protector would activate (set at 3 amps), then reset quickly and the engine would proceed; it was quick, the engine didn't actually stop. Without the Electrak II, there was no such circuit protection activation. Is that considered normal when the cleaner activates due to a dirty spot?

  1. After running for about 5 minutes (three circuits at a pretty slow speed), I turned the Electrak II off and noticed that the shell right above the circuit board was quite warm. How warm should it get?

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

I suggest running the Electrak on DC only. With an analog engine. A chip could be damaged by the high voltage the unit puts out on dirty track.

The units do get quite warm. Not hot enough to burn you but warm.

"Edward A. Oates" wrote:

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Thanks for the info.

WRT DCC operation: there is a review at Tony's Train Exchange which indicates that DCC is not a concern, though my PM42 shutdowns are a bit worrisome to me. Since I'm wired for DCC and really don't have the DC option (I guess I could set it up), I'll be cautious as you suggest and take all other locos off the tracks of the circuit being cleaned, and use an old loco with a cheap decoder (an old DH121 in an Athearn).

Ed

in article snipped-for-privacy@a-err.com, Charles Kimbrough at snipped-for-privacy@a-err.com wrote on 4/28/05 10:19 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

According to the maker and testers (review at Tony's Train Exchange) this will not happen.

My real question is; Using ME track that is pre-weathered will the cleaner leave you with bright shiny nickel silver?

Reply to
Jon Miller