MR track plans

As George Allen used to say- The future is now.

All print media are currently struggling to survive in a world where publishing/delivery costs have gone through the proverbial roof and readership has severely dropped off. Some of this is due to the amount of stuff becoming available on line, but there's also the fact that more and more people -particularly younger people- are simply getting out of the habit of reading hard-copy books and magazines. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a lot of stuff online. I think Model Railroad Hobbyist, which is only available online and is Free, is one of the best model railroad magazines published, http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/ . I read it regularly. I also Subscribe to and read the online edition of 'Coral' magazine. I would like to see many more magazines offer digital editions at a reduced subscription rate to account for savings in postage, paper and other cost savings. I also buy single digital issues of some magazines when I want a specific issue but do not want to subscribe - 'National Geographic', for example.
What got me going digital was the book 'Swarm'. I was trying to read the hard bound edition in bed and holding all 1400 or so pages was getting tiresome. Looked around and bought a Sony reader and the digital edition of Swarm. I now have more than five dozen or so books plus magazines, individual articles on PC, the Sony reader and a Barnes & Noble reader I got dirt cheap and hacked into an Android device that also gives me wi-fi. Then there are the tens of thousands of FREE books through Google ...
Take a look at Zinio for some examples of online magazines. http://www.zinio.com/
On Fri, 27 May 2011 13:00:48 -0700, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Nice resource - thanks for the link.

Click through to their advertisers, it helps keep them alive. Tell your friends!
On 27/05/2011 3:40 AM, Twibil wrote:

Huh????? Carstens and Kalmbach are still here, last I looked.
But you're right about commercial printing/publishing. You'll note that from time to time people come here asking for on-line resources, when a trip to the local library would have answered their questions before they even asked them.
Wolf K.
On Sat, 28 May 2011 20:46:54 -0400, Wolf K wrote:

Interesting concept - but, our library has zero resources regarding model railroading - I've looked.
On Sun, 29 May 2011 01:18:02 +0000, ray wrote:

Must be a pretty small library. Ours, in a medium size county, has about a dozen books and a subscription to MR. You do know that most libraries will order stuff that people ask for if the budget allows, don't you?

On Sun, 29 May 2011 23:45:08 +0000, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Yes, I know that. I know ours did - but they seem to be having a rather rocky time with a new director - I don't know how they are now.
The below is the future. Free PDF downloads each month with videos in some of the articles. Google Books searches and regular Google searches can find all kinds of layout ideas. No need to do useless Rants unless bored and need attention. They are looking for articles if bored and need something to do.
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com /
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/community

To those people, who I consider too lazy too do their own research, I'd like to send these links: -
http://lmgtfy.com /
Or if they are really lazy: -
http://www.giyf.com /
--