N Scale Help!

I am an HO scale modeler. One thing I have always been picky about was how "realistically" model trains could be operated. A few years back when Atlas came out with their S series switcher I was in heaven. A locomotive that could finally be operated without lurching ahead like a "toy". Then of course there was the Walthers H-10-44 by Roco and subsequent Kato Geep models .

For some strange reason I find myself fascinated with the size of N Scale models although I have been in and out of that scale 3 times now. Because of a back problem and an irritable Sciatic nerve I find I can only stand about one half hour in the basement running my HO trains, so I purchased another N Scale train set recently so I could operate sitting down in an upstairs bedroom. My problem is the erratic lurching back and forth when the train first starts up (s-l-o-w-l-y). I find with Rapido couplers the lurching is worse backing up. With MicroScale couplers the problem is worse going forward. I'm afraid my caboose crew will suffer whiplash. Once the train is moving faster the lurching disappears. I am running an Atlas GP-7 made in China, on Atlas snap track with an MRC Tech 4 280 power pack. Is there something I can do to eliminate this problem or is it just the nature of the scale?

Thanks!

Jim James F. Westphal

Reply to
JFWestphal

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JFWestphal) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com:

It's not N scale nature. This lurching you describe, is it the cars taking up the coupler slack, then "rocking" back and forth along the track as the train moves slowly ? If so, then this is caused by the springs in the couplers; one way to stop this from happening is to weight your cars - there are guidelines for this as well as standards - don't ask me, I run fixed consist trains with slackless close coupling systems. If this is a side-to-side lurching motion, then this is either due to some track problem, check your track is level and the joiners are all properly seated.

Hope this helps,

Reply to
JB/NL

Various European manufacturers make close couplers (KK) that eliminate the free play. As I'm into HO I don't know the full extent of products, but Roco make various lengths of Rapido replacements that fit into standard N scale coupler pockets.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Gregory Procter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz:

If you have to replace your Rapido T-shanks with something that has no slack, do yourself a favor and buy Japanese couplers. Tomix make an excellent, nearly slackless coupling system at scale size and appearance called 'TN'. The ordernumber for their buckeye coupler fitting most T-shank pockets is 0391. For the most part, I'd advise everyone to steer well clear of European brands of trains, *especially* in N scale, Not only are the Tomix TN's cheaper, they look better (more prototypical) and do couple up with MT's pretty well ....

Reply to
JB/NL

Yes, it is the slack of the couplers being taken up as you describe. I will try your suggestions. Thanks!

Jim James F. Westphal

Reply to
JFWestphal

Jim, my father is 73, he has a similar problem, he cannot stand for too long. So we got him one of those large bar stool type chairs with arm rests and a foot rest. It sits him up high enough to see and it swivels. that coupled with a handsfree controller, lets him enjoy his layout longer.

Reply to
<Will

That bar stool may be my next option. Thanks to all who responded. At least I know there are solutions to both my problems. James F. Westphal

Reply to
JFWestphal

Jim,

Microtrains sell a tiny coil spring that fits over the needle points of N-scale axles to induce a small amount of drag and solve the problem of lightweight cars "hunting" back and forth.

You install the spring on the last car in the train (eg caboose). This has the effect of holding the string of cars in the train taught as the last car is "dragging" slightly and the first car is obviously being pulled forward by the locomotive.

Might be another solution to consider?

Gavin Miller Perth, W. Australia

Gavin Miller