Alternative N scale couplers

Having retired, I'm building my first layout for 40 years and am using N scale.
The standard N scale couplers are dreadfully clunky and obtrusive, can the
panel recommend an effective, proven and reliable alternative?
TIA
Add pictures here
βœ–
Stimpy wrote:

You could use Micro-Trains magnetic couplers, which are the N-scale equivalent of Kadees (they were originally made by Kadee, until they were hived off into a separate company). Their web page is http://www.micro-trains.com/pl-NCouplers.php and a list of dealers in the UK (or "England" as they call it) is at http://www.micro-trains.com/dealers/int_england.htm (the list of dealers in Scotland is out-of-date, as Mac's Models have ceased trading): http://www.micro-trains.com/dealers/int_scotland.htm
--
Jane

Add pictures here
βœ–

In addition you may find the latest issue of "N'spirations" (number 3) by Grahame Hedges price 2 UKP plus postage from Osborns Models (http://www.osbornsmodels.com ) of interest as it has an article on N gauge uncouplers with a brief overview of most of the alternatives including some Japanese ones from Tomix.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ah, I thought. That booklet from Osborns is just what I need. At least, it was until they said that there minimum order price was £10 which with postage makes it more expensive than most hardback books. Anyone know a more customer friendly place that has it?
--
Tinkerer

Add pictures here
βœ–

I managed to add 1 to the shopping cart.
MBQ
Add pictures here
βœ–

So did I. It is when you get to the point of paying that it tells you the minimum order.
--
Tinkerer

Add pictures here
βœ–

You obviously don't buy many hardback books then.
David
--
David Littlewood

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 15:25:51 -0000, "Tinkerer"

Postal address: Mr G. Hedges , 19 Grssmere Way , Byfleet , Surrey , KT14 7BX
Both are printed in the booklet so I don't hink I've broken any rules by posting them here.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Very convenient as I am only up the road in Sunbury on Thames. I will certainly try that. Thanks. I did notice that he had been selling them on eBay but the auction had expired.
--
Tinkerer

Add pictures here
βœ–

Worked a treat. Emailed and got a reply. Copy arranged. Thanks for the info.
--
Tinkerer

Add pictures here
βœ–

Mac's web site is still up and seemingly responsive.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lobby Dosser wrote:

That's not the Mac's web site as it used to be. Mac ceased trading because he retired. It seems that the business has been sold on. Good luck to them.
--
Jane

Add pictures here
βœ–

Are you thinking of Mackay's? They went under after the death of the proprietor.
MBQ
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

No. They were different organisations. I bought a lot of stuff from Mac's, including some rather nice brass models. Mackay's were the main importers of Lenz into the UK.

--
Jane

Add pictures here
βœ–

Ah. From Model Rail Forum:
Macs Model Railroading opened its new retail premises (following relocation under a new owner Ian Sangster and major refurbishment of retail premises in Kirriemuir) on Monday 25 May 2009 at
4 / 9 Reform Street, Kirriemuir Angus Scotland
Telephone number is 01575 572397
HTH
Add pictures here
βœ–

Off-the-shelf or DIY? I'm using DG couplings http://www.modelsignals.com/couplings_frame.htm
MBQ
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:54:35 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

Off the shelf please, ideally a direct replacement for the standard device. I'm strictly a ready-to-run man y'see :-)
Having said that, the S&W couplers do look neat.
Add pictures here
βœ–

History of N-Scale couplers (from US perspective) http://www.nscaledivision.com/information_on_couplers.htm
The "clunky" couplers are called "Arnold" couplers after the originator of N-scale. "It may not look anything like a coupler on a real train but it has been a reliable standard for over 30 years."
Pictures of other European couplers: http://www.1zu160.net/nspur/kupplungen.php Fleischmann Kurzkupplung (short couplers) is the most widely used alternative (at least on the continent). Home made short couplings: http://www.1zu160.net/eigenbau/kupplung.php
For unit trains you could consider fixed couplings: - Hammerschmid Kurzkupplungsdeichseln - Fleischmann-Kuppelstange - Tillig TT-Steifkupplung (cheap and effective) http://home.arcor.de/enby/kurzkupplungen.htm
For US couplers: http://www.micro-trains.com/pl-NCouplers.php Pictures of MTL (Micro Trains Line) couplers: http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/MTLPages/Micro-Train_Body-Mount_Product-Page.htm What is RDA:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bhender730/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/rda_mt.jpg
--
Fred W. (NL)

Add pictures here
βœ–
FredW wrote:

When I started in European N scale in 1967 Arnold Rapido had been using the Rapido coupler for four or five years, Minitrix for two or three years, and Lima had just started using the Arnold coupler after having used a scaled-down version of the Mδrklin H0 coupler.
So actually the Arnold coupler is about 48 or 49 years old.
--
Venlig hilsen/Best regards
Erik Olsen

http://www.guidetozscale.com/html/the_rapido_coupler.html "Eventually, by 1964, Arnold rapido equipment came equipped with the coupler that we now know as the β€œRapido Coupler”."