Changing N scale caboose couplers

I want to change a Micro-Trains caboose to take rapido couplers. Will they fit the MT coupler pockets, or do I need a conversion pocket? harrym

Reply to
HarryM

Most micro trains will take the rapido coupler without modification.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

-------------------------------

"Frank A. Rosenbaum" wrote

"Most.."?

Either they will, or they won't. Other than adding "Micro-Trains®" in 1990, Micro-Trains Line hasn't changed the underframe of their caboose since Kadee first released them

29 years ago.
Reply to
Curious

1990, Micro-Trains Line

them 29 years ago.

The coupler pocket is attached with one machine screw, but it won't take a rapido coupler as far as I can see. What am I not seeing? harrym

Reply to
HarryM

I think you have got it quite backwards. It's the Rapido type couplers that need changing, not the Micro-Trains couplers :-)

Have a look at

some M-T body-mount installations.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

"HarryM" wrote

Sounds like you have one of the more recently released (1996-current) steel caboose, series MTL 100000?

Is your goal to have body-mounted or truck-mounted Rapido couplers?

Reply to
Curious

It is a Union Pacific woodside caboose. I want to keep body-mounted couplers. harrym

Reply to
HarryM

--------------- ?? Does your caboose match any of the following:

UP 3270 - 34' Wood Sheathed Caboose, w/Slanted Cupola (Boxcar Red) UP 3527 UP 3530 UP 3532 UP 3535

UP 3232 - 34' Wood Sheathed Caboose, w/Slanted Cupola (yellow) UP 3236 UP 3238 UP 3240 UP 3245 UP 3246 UP 3248 UP 3540 UP 3542

If yes, it sounds like it's already been altered by a previous owner. Do the coupler boxes look like any of these:

Curious

Yes, it's UP 3245. Will truck-mounted couplers work in this caboose? I wasn't sure they would clear the steps. I have extra Atlas roller-bearing trucks with rapido couplers if they will work. I haven't tried them yet. harrym

Reply to
HarryM