N-Scale Restoration - 1970's

I am trying to restore for sale a 36" x 66" N-scale system which I constructed for my then young son in ~ 1972. Most of the purchased components are Atlas

There are 3 engines, a Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern, a Atlas/Roco EMD GP9, and a Atlas/Roco Plymouth WDT. The last was disassembled some time in the late 1970's. I believe that the other two should be restorable. I have a copy of

and plan to use it to work on the first two engines.

The layout consists of an irregularly shaped outer loop containing an elevated crossing loop in the center. There is also one short siding.

The scratch-built custom power supply uses a 3A Powerstat variable transformer as the throttle. It varies the AC voltage to a full-wave center-tap rectifier based on a Triad Magnetics F40X Power Transformer (26.8V CT 1.0A ) which provides up to 14 V DC to the track (15 V with pulse power button down.) An independent F40X provides 16.4 V AC for accessories. The control panel includes a neon 'power-on' indicator light, a green led 'power to the track' indicator light, DPDT switches mounted to indicate the direction of travel, and momentary switches to power the turnouts to change the path of travel.

The Atlas switch to the siding has an open coil. Can the coil be replaced to restore it to operation? The remaining switches are all very sluggish. Is there maintenance I can do on them to restore their operation? They did work effectively when the layout was new. I have tried to search for the current they draw when they operate, but have not been able to find any references. Does anyone have any facts? I ask because I connected the control panel to the layout using a scavenged

25 pair Amphenol telephone cable connector set. This means that all of the wiring goes through at least a short length of #24 AWG cable which might be current limiting.

In my searching I found

already have some red and blue Doxit from Caig. Should it be just as effective as Aero's "Conducta lube" in restoring the locomotive motors?

I plan to restore the track surface by polishing it with 600 mesh (5-15 micron particles) aluminum oxide green lapping paper followed by a pass with 0.5 micron lapping tape. I am trying to restore for sale a 36" x

[...]

Thanks,

Baumgrenze

Thanks,

Baumgrenze

Reply to
baumgrenze

Good luck with your project. You'll find that there have been a lot of changes since the 1970s.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire