NCE or Digitrax

PM>> FE> throttle that is allmost 6 PM>> FE>years old. PM>> FE>> I am trying to decide if I want the DT-400 or the DT-300. I PM>> FE>like the compact PM>> FE>> size of the DT-100. The DT-400 seems kind of large. What are PM>> FE>> your thoughts on the size and weight of the DT-400? PM>>

PM>> FE>I have very few negative things against the DT400. I personally PM>> FE>think it's great to have so many functions available at the PM>> FE>press of a button. However, there are still some things that PM>> FE>require multi-buttons, and I really wish they would have PM>> FE>provided a dedicated button for them. You can find more info PM>> FE>about this at my website (URL below). PM>>

PM>> FE>Frank Eva PM>> FE>Digital Railroader PM>> FE>

PM>> Any opinion on the wireless vs. IR versions of the DT400 ? PM>>

PM>> Jeff

PM>I am also interested in the opinions of more people who have used the PM>Radio throttle. We had on post that was negative on radio but didn't PM>really explain why. Is it something to do with lag time or false PM>signals?

PM>Paul McGraw

Also does anyone know if Digitrax has a new model getting ready to come out ? I am getting close to taking the plunge and from what I am reading here the DT-400 seems to be the way to go but I'd hate to buy it tomorrow and find out in a week there is a new model. I know you can never be certain of these things but if something is getting ready to come out to the market, they have been developing it for quite some time. Their website only mentions new decoders. From the dates on some pages it looks like the DT400 has been out at least a year or more. I have no idea what their product development cycle is.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Binkley

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:25:44 UTC, "Paul McGraw" wrote: 2000

I posted some negative comments on the NCE radio throttle. First let me describe the layout. It is in a room that is approximately 45' x

65'. The antenna is pretty much in the middle, hung from the false ceiling. It is closer to one end of the 65' dimension, near the command station. The layout is double deck so there are a few areas where the antenna is blanked by the benchwork, especially when the throttle is held at a comfortable level.

The first problem is acquiring a locomotive. With the radio throttle it is a hit or miss proposition with many more misses than hits. This occurs even when each button is held down for several seconds. That is why road crews (the only ones who use the radio throttles) normally carry a throttle cord. That way they can plug in and acquire. From then on things are okay. When running on a road job the throttles are adequate since fast response isn't really necessary. On occasion when running at constant speed the throttles shut down due to inactivity. This again is not a real problem since as soon as you notice it you can reactivate the throttle. I would hate to be heading for a cornfield meet in this case but so far this has never happened.

The throttles are essentially useless for switching due to the delay. During a non-operating session when I was the only one running it was acceptable. Normally we have some 15 to 20 throttles active during an operating session.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:19:54 UTC, Jim Holland wrote: 2000

One other system to look at is CVP's Easy DCC. A couple of people in our group have it and are happy. But the layouts are small.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:34:05 UTC, Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!) wrote: 2000

That has been my experience.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

Unfortunately the spammers don't seem to have any difficulty no matter how hard I try to avoid them. ........F>

Reply to
Froggy

It doesn't matter about a new throttle. AFAIK there is no super DT-400 coming soon. There may be new issues and/or upgrades on other throttles, but it is really unimportant as any new release will be timed to occur exactly three weeks after you make your purchase, whenever that might be. You can do it now or wait until next year, it will be the same three week interval. that is just the way it is.

I just got in from an op session this evening where I used my DT-400 and was reminded, yet again, how much I like it and how easy it is to use.

........F>

Reply to
Froggy

I don't think you should discount radio control if all you're concerned about is "starts and stops". I believe the majority of folks here are upset with the use of radio control when doing switching operations. I've personally given up on NCE's radio simply because of the horrible random-length delays between issuing a command and acting upon it. However, once it's up and running, I can do frequent starts and stops and reverses without concern.

Reply to
Frank Eva

Isn't it a crock that NCE even suggests such a wierd configuration? Most of us take many pains to hide our wiring, and they say the best way to use their radio is to hang the corded base station from the ceiling! Personally, I think they're more concerned about the operator being too close to the base station, which they admit can overload it with commands.

There is a setting that will disable this - I believe you input a "0" and it won't turn off the throttle. The only other time this has happened to me is when the batteries were low on juice.

Reply to
Frank Eva

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:09:28 UTC, "Frank Eva" wrote: 2000

I will check into this. I don't use the radio throttles since I rarely run as a road crew. I bid for the local jobs.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

Good Morning!

I still want individual operators. Out on the line equipment is spaced further apart, but in *Town* settings, equipment operates much closer than trains. Just operate like prototype trolleycars which use spacing and stopping rules before pulling in immediately behind another piece of equipment.

Conflict in usage observations --- some find the delay too much, others just so-so!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Holland