Need help getting in touch w/RR historical society

I recently emailed the Chicago & North Western Historical Society, seeking information about an area of trackage I remember from my childhood in Evanston, Illinois. Never heard back from them; I suspect it's a very small operation, with possibly only one person on the receiving end of emails sent there.

Does anyone here have any connections with this organization? Or does anyone here have any specific knowledge of this area? (I'm interested in the tracks as they were ca. 1960.) Any help would be appreciated.

(Their web site is

David Nebenzahl

I may be able to help you with up to 1960. Are you remembering the old Mayfair line that ran at mostly ground level through the Western part of Evanston and through the Weber Yard which was near Dempster St. if I recall. It tied in to the Madison line at Mayfair (about Cicero and Lawrence). There was a Wye at the connection with the Milwaukee Division to turn commuter trains that tied up at Weber.

The other line through Evanston was the Chicago-Milwaukee three track mainline which was elevated all through town.

I've got some early 50's pictures at Weber and Davis St. Stati> I recently emailed the Chicago & North Western Historical Society,

Reply to
Henry Murray

Henry Murray spake thus:

First of all, thanks for the speedy reply.

Regarding the line you describe, the answer is maybe. You tell me: the specific location I'm interested in was a small yard (I'm calling it that, though it may have just been a place where a couple of spurs ran off the line to businesses) where the tracks crossed Main St., just east of the Sanitary District canal (and on the south side of Main). This may have been the same line, as it surely ran through the west side of town (and connected to a very high trestle that ran over McCormick Rd.). Of course, all this is gone now.

I know about the elevated line, as I used to play up there all the time as a kid (around the Main St. station, mostly).

Sounds like you know this territory. You have *pictures*, huh? I'm interested.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

What sort of information did you specifically ask for?

I'm under the impression that the CNWHS is a relatively active society.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Mark Mathu spake thus:

See my reply to Henry Murray. Pictures, mostly. What kind of information do you have?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yep, that's it. Weber Yard. Further North along the line there were industries- Edward Hines Lumber Company, Marx steel construction of some kind- not 100% sure of the name- and a coal company and an old coal gasification plant with it big (literally) floating tanks, and (I think) a cement company or something that used concrete silos.

I've got 6 pictures of activity/inactivity in the yard -probably late

1952. Send your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

This may

and the sanitary district canal.

). Of

Yep, remember Main St. Station well. It was my second relief station agent job as a snotty nosed 16 year old working the extra board on the Milwaukee and Madison Divisions. Was the team track to the North of station still there/in use in the 60's? The Nabisco siding?

Reply to
Henry Murray