O scale and DCC

I have been lurking and surfing about DCC since I retired a few months ago, as I get back into the layout business. So I am not going to ask which is the "best" DCC system, although there is a confusingly huge number available now.

Just a question about power.

What do you O scalers use/prefer? I have run some tests on my locos and the newer can motors don't use a lot more run current than an HO rig, but the stall current is MUCH more. It would certainly take out a 1 amp circuit that didn't have good protection.

I know my old open frame motors will have to be replaced, but I would do that anyway even if I was going back to a DC throttle. But I need a system that is not fragile as pertains to larger current draw.

Thanks all

Bill Staples (Konan)

Reply to
Konan

Digitrax makes decoders that will support 5 amps:

However, they also make decoders that will support 2 amps that are less expensive:

The best of both worlds is the discontinued DH38FX. It was the perfect decoder for O scale. They can still be had at some hobby shops, but supplies are dwindling. If you want to hunt for them, they are ideal for your use. I run several old, open-frame Pittman motors with DH83s of various manufacture dates and have never had any problem with them. I have also run open-frame motors with the DH163D with no problems, but they were small compared to some of the large ones used in some O scale locos.

NCE (North Coast Engineering) also has large-scale decoders.

NCE is an old and respected name in DCC.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy