Peco & Tortoise

When installing a Peco turnout and a Tortoise switch machine, do you reduce the tension on the Peco spring or remove it all together. How do you reduce
spring tension... squeeze it together?
Carter Braxton
says...

I don't use 'em, but everything I've ever read says to just remove the springs.
As always, YMMV fl@liner

I just keep the spring in place. This keeps the blades tight against the stock rail. It is also useful for me as I use a Lenz DCC point motor unit to control the Tortoise switch machines. This has a timed amount of power applied and the Peco spring is a belt and braces approach.
Having said that I have one point where the Peco spring came out and that one has no trouble at all - the Tortoise cuts out and still holds the blade in place.
--
Mike Hughes
: When installing a Peco turnout and a Tortoise switch machine, do you reduce : the tension on the Peco spring or remove it all together. How do you reduce : spring tension... squeeze it together? : : Carter Braxton :
Some folks remove the spring, others use a stiffer wire between the tortoise and Peco. I'm in the spring remover camp. When it stalls, the tortoise is putting enough pressure on the points to keep them in place.
Len
Carter Braxton skriver:

Remove the spring.

No, the small plastic part that holds the spring should be moved as far away from the dreawbar as possible.
Klaus
Carter Braxton wrote:

Unclip the cover plate and remove the spring - put it in a zip-top plastic bag with a label so you know what it is the next time. You'll never need it again but it will sit in your spares/junk box and get hooked up with all sorts of much more useful stuff.
Put the cover plate back on the peco turnout. The normal first failure of Peco turnouts is when the spring end cuts it's way through the tie and the over centre tension action is lost.
Regards, Greg.P.
Thanks guys... looks like the spring must go
Carter