Please help a noob -- locomotive maintenance

On the bottom of our Lionel PRR K4 are two screws with the label "GREASE" next to them. How exactly do we do this? The manual gives no clue. Do we completely remove the screws and put grease in the holes, or do we partially unscrew them and grease the screw shafts?

Also, the engine doesn't run smoothly at low speed (it's factory new condition, but has been sitting unused in a box for 4+ years). Movement is jerky and we can hear a slight mechanical grinding noise coming from the motor on each revolution of the wheels. Can the motor on this model be greased? If so, how do we do it?

Lionel's part number for this engine is 6-38025.

Sorry for what must be a real basic questions.

Reply to
<nospam

Chris Coleman's Tinplate Trains FAQ:

Lionel Tips and FAQ:

These books should prove to be invaluable as you progress...

"Getting Started with Lionel Trains:

"The Big Book of Lionel" (The Big Book of Lionel: The Complete Guide to Owning and Running America's Favorite Toy Trains) By Robert Schleicher

These books are up to 32% off list and include free shipping and handling on most orders over $25.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Books, Toys, and Trains:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

I've read your links. Would someone please answer my questions now?

<nospam

Could you please try to be more rude?

The screws probably don't move under normal operation. I'm guessing that you remove them and then grease the moveable parts they are helping to retain. It's not rocket science. You lubricate the moving parts.

One generally oils motors, rather than greasing them. The oil goes on the motor shaft at the bearing points. Sparingly. And most mechanisms need a break-in period, so don't expect perfectly smooth operation straight out of the box, especially if it's been sitting for years.

Good luck, Dale

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood.

Reply to
Dale

Sorry, it stems from my Linux days. I hate wasting time reading long FAQs that wind up not answering the questions I'm asking.

That's what I thought, too. But the manual has a diagram of the bottom of the engine, with the words "Grease sparingly", and two arrows pointing directly at the screws. It doesn't say anything about greasing moving parts, or whether to fully remove the screws, in fact it doesn't give you any details.

Thanks, but again that's not what the manual says. All the bearing points on the bottom are labeled "Oil Sparingly" except for the two screws, which say grease not oil.

No problem, thanks for the info.

Reply to
<nospam

Detail in the manuals doesn't seem to be Lionels strong point, from my limited experience. I've also looked at a Lionel parts list for the Polar Express and there were a lot of asterisks indicating "part not available". An aesthetic part for a limited run I could understand, but a mechanical part for a standard engine?

Yes, the manual is explaining how to lubricate the external parts, not the motor. To lubricate the motor, you have to take the body off.

Reply to
Spender

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net replied:

*** I've read your links. Would someone please answer my questions now? ***

Sorry. I offered the links as a reference to be used in the future as questions arise. I use the "finder" to save time when searching pages for information. I think Chris Coleman's FAQ has a wealth of valuable information.