prototypical weight

I am wondering if there has been a survey as to prototypical weight and the relationship to scale (HO). I know about the 4-5 ounces per inch of length, but it doesn't take into account the weight of the parts. Such as what percentage of total for the trucks and wheels vs. the body. Maybe if more weight was low down, there would be less de-railing. Anybody have any knowledge of this? Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Edward Kahn

Molecularly mass doesn't scale -- just as light and time don't scale either. Weight can be given as a volumetric measurement and that can be scaled. A prototype engine weighing 500,000 lbs would be a dash over 12 oz in HO. Using a low center of gravity will help some with a cars stability but not over come most of the problems we have that cause derailments, such as track irregularities, tight curves, parts binding, etc. Adding more weight helps to "glue" the car down to the track and this can compensate for some of these ills.

J. Bright

Reply to
JHBRIGHT