Proxxon FKS/E or Micro-Mark equivalent mini table saw

Referring to this table saw;

Has anyone ever used this to cut aluminum say .1"" thick using the 24 teeth carbide blade or similar?

Reply to
oparr

On 10/29/2009 12:30 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

Without having used it, I can tell you that it will work, although the cut may be a bit ragged. I have cut aluminum on a larger table saw with a carbide blade. Usually needs cleaning up afterwards.

In terms of smoothness of cut, the more teeth the better. You also might want to try a fine non-carbide blade (like one made for plywood).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The "rule of thumb" for sawing anything successfully is to have a minimum of 3 teeth cutting in the material at any given moment. Less teeth will cut, but extremely roughly with likely damage to the teeth and to the material. For 0.1" thick material you need 30 teeth per inch or more. I personally would have a go with a saw of 20 or more teeth per inch, but carefully.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Agree. However, the 24 tooth (2.3 T/I) carbide is what the attached recommends for aluminum thicker than 1/16";

I also asked Micro-Mark tech support what were their thoughts and they recommended the following abrasive cut off disk;

My experience with abrasive disks for cutting has never been good. ISTR sparks flying, an obnoxious odor and the process taking forever.

I'm lean>

Reply to
oparr

RPM should also be a factor when considering rotary saws. I'm able to rip 1/16" aluminum sheeting using a 7 T/I blade and the finish looks like a metal shear prtess was used. No sanding required. However, things start getting ragged when thickness approaches .1".

Reply to
oparr

On 10/30/2009 8:53 AM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus: >

OK. I'd at least consider their recommendation.

I wouldn't use an abrasive disk for cutting aluminum. Too soft, and leaves a *really* jagged edge. Works OK for ferrous metals.

Aluminum's softer than brass, or about as soft, so it *should* work. I'd try it, so long as the blade's not super-expensive.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Actually, it's $10.00 cheaper than the carbide blade. Thanks!

Reply to
oparr

I'd be most worried about the ability of the motor to drivve the blade. Also, usee a thin oil when cutting and the edge will be allot smoother than if cut dry. The blade will also not fill with aluminum and thus keep a better cutting.

-- Bob May

Bob May

I never cut dry, that's >

Reply to
oparr

On 10/31/2009 5:00 AM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

Ackshooly, no lube on a saw blade is going to do much good, as it's all gone after the first few hundred revolutions of the blade (unless one has a steady flow of oil or something). Oil *is* messy. No lubricant required for this sort of cutting.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I agree with you Opar that the 168 tooth blade is the way to go. My father was an industrial arts teacher and I learned from him some 54 years ago. In the time since then I have cut all types of metals and woods and the rule has always been to use higher number of teeth per inch or centimeter, however you want to measure, if you want a fine cut. John Hubbard

Reply to
NICHE541

I can see you've never used a lube "cray>

Reply to
oparr

Got the mach>

Reply to
oparr

On 11/4/2009 4:43 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

Well, I've used wax (candle wax) to lubricate all kinds of tools. But that lube isn't going to stay there forever; just saying that it gets worn off pretty quickly.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Try this;

oparr