purpose revealed

I was reading Tony Koester's column in the April MR and came across this gem:

"...the manufacturers and importers have done a magnificent job of meeting almost any reasonable need. Our job is to take advantage of their offerings to the extent that our budgets will allow."

I'm extremely grateful to Tony for defining my model RRing job. I had been operating under the mistaken assumption that it was to build a scaled down representation of a railroad and the towns and terrain it traversed. Now I know better. My modeling job is to be a better consumer!

That's a shame, because I really enjoyed scratchbuilding structures, laying track, building scenery, etc.. all with a minimum of cash outlay. Now I have to find a new hobby. As a senior on a fixed income, becoming a better consumer just isn't feasible.

Of course, it was the April issue of MR - but I think the April Fool article was earlier in the magazine :-).

BTW, I read the copy of MR at our public library - that way I pay what it's worth :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

You might -just *might*, mind you- be misinterpreting Tony's meaning there just a teensy-weensie bit.

Interestingly, we all read your posts on Usenet for exactly the same reason.

Reply to
Twibil

You might -just *might*, mind you- be misinterpreting Tony's meaning there just a teensy-weensie bit.

============================================================= He may indeed be misinterpreting what was the intended meaning but maybe not what was written :-)

If paying for a magazine then tis fair to expect decent grammar.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I hope I am. But the way he said it just begged for a sarcastic reply :-).

There's a lot of that going around :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

LOL!!