Re: building lighting

>I like miniature Christmas tree lights: >

Bill,

I think that qualifies as an understatement.

To the original poster:

You might also look at LEDs if you're concerned about longevity. There's a growing variety of colors/shades of yellows, whites, oranges, etc that may work. If you'll look around at night, you'll notice a wide range of colors from house to house. Rarely is there just one color, even in the same house.

You could simulate a TV set in a room, by using a flickering blue LED.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting

Mike Tennent

Plastic round stock is really the cheaper stuff for doing fiber optic. The craft industry has the cheap stuff that they use for the sprays of light pipes that will do an excellent job of moving light where you need it. In addition, the ends can be shaped to throw the light in particular patterns with little difficulty. Light loss is minimal with most of the fibers which means that you don't need megawatt bulbs to light something.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Mike=A0Tennent replied:

---------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) wrote: I like miniature Christmas tree lights

---------------------------------------------- Mike Tennent replied: I think that qualifies as an understatement.

Can't pass up on a bargain, Mike!

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

No. It is normally _about_ 16 volts. Old selenium rectifiers wasted about 4 volts so the difference between AC and DC outputs has traditionally been 16 to 12 volts. The "12 volts DC" is based on the 12 volt accumulator or car battery which is 13.8 volts, so 16 volts AC could well be 17.8 volts. Transformers generally put out a higher voltage at low current than at high current draw, particularly the small trainset types, so a single 16 volt mini-bulb on a transformer AC accessory output could well be receiving 20 volts, which would result in a very short lifespan.

Buy yourself a cheap digital multimeter - you should be able to get one from a chain store for $5- to $10-.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

That's what I tell folks at shows when they ask what to use to power my FX boards. Most people have 3 or 4 of these things lying around the house from some toy or device that died. Check the voltage, snip off the adapter end it came with, and use it.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting

Mike Tennent

Haaa, now you're about to discover the 6 volt ones give the brightness you want and you're gonna have to spend another 99cents! ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I have some unused power supplies for phones that went belly-up. I'll have to see what they're rated at. Thanks!

Reply to
DCC Models

I have a couple of unused Spectrum powerpacks - I'll use them! Thanks!

Reply to
DCC Models

Frank Eva wrote: I have a couple of unused Spectrum powerpacks - I'll use them! Thanks!

----------------------------------------------- You're welcome, Frank. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results from them.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

DC won't shorten the life of an incandescent bulb. On the contrary, it may even increase the overall life, by reducing the expansion and contraction of the filament induced by the reversal of polarity and the subsequent voltage drop 60 times a second. If you wish to increase the life of an incandescent bulb, run it a couple of volts under its rated voltage - eg: run a 16v bulb at 12-14v, or run a 12v bulb at 9v, or a 1.5v bulb at 1.4v. The increase in lifespan is geometric, as the percetage of reduction increases. I have 1.5v headlight bulbs which are still good after over 30 years of use, running them from a diode-drop constant lighting circuit, which produces 1.4v.

Reply to
Gary M. Collins